Dirt Trail K10 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitch_f

Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
(I’m quite new to this forum, and square body’s in general, so let me know if I’m doing anything wrong) I have an 86 Chevy K10, 2dr, long bed, that I hope to make a fun, daily-able truck than I can rip around some tight forest dirt trails, but is currently just a normal, rusty, k10. How should I upgrade it to handle these tasks?

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A can of WD40 some duck tape , vise grips any man with any salt can tackle anything with just these things .lol
Nah man just messing with ye !
Put some tires , shocks good brakes maybe a lift . And your engine purring ! Go have fun on those trails .

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
@mitch_f.

Assuming it starts, runs, and stops well....
I would rebuild your front end (ball joints / tie rods / drag links) ...or at least be prepared to. In the process of installing all moog parts now. Got hung up because the previous owner swapped the axle with a D44 out of a 75ish something. So half of my rebuild kit is no good to me

So...really....the most important part before you start buying parts and making modifications is.....verify your equipment. Learn from my mistakes. ID your axles / hubs / motor / trans / t-case.....ect ect. Save yourself the time, stress, and heart ache.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@mitch_f,
Welcome to the forum from Louisiana!

What engine do you have? Is it a stick or auto? What tires do you presently have on it? What kind of shape are the shocks in? Steering? What do the sway bar bushings look like, split, cracked, missing? Do you have a rear sway bar? Get one. How much lift does it have? What kind of shape are the universal joints in? When was the last time you changed differential fluid, gear box fluid or transmission fluid, filter? Do you have a oil cooler, transmission cooler, power steering fluid cooler? Get them.
This should give you some idea what you are going to need to keep up with if you plan on off roading. Maintenence is key to having this fun, tight ripping I know you want to enjoy. Also, do you have a winch? Get one because if you are out in the "forest" and it's been raining you will get stuck. It ain't all fun and games. There's broke stuff and work to get your a** out of the "forest" and night is coming!

mitch_f

Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Thank you guys for the reply’s, they’re very helpful

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
If you get stumped on something....dont hesitate to reach out. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

What do you have going on under the hood?

mitch_f

Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
If you get stumped on something....dont hesitate to reach out. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

What do you have going on under the hood?
350, completely stock to my knowledge

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Make sure you have a good set of tires. Especially if you plan to daily and off road it.

Most "normal, rusty, k10" s that I've seen do not come with good tires. At least the ones that I've bought never did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack541