Digital cluster won’t turn on after I put on battery.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy0079

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Who's cluster? I would be checking grounds first, then power wires. If it's a Dakota setup, something may have come loose from the brain box.
It is a Intellitronix digital cluster. I checked all my grounds and they seem fine. I did contact the company and they told me “We recommend a fuse on the 12 volt wires pink and red wire if it has both color wires not sure if the installer installed fuses or not if the truck wont start it might be something else not letting the dash light up” kinda left me in a dead end. Electrical work is gonna be the death of me lol.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
It is a Intellitronix digital cluster. I checked all my grounds and they seem fine. I did contact the company and they told me “We recommend a fuse on the 12 volt wires pink and red wire if it has both color wires not sure if the installer installed fuses or not if the truck wont start it might be something else not letting the dash light up” kinda left me in a dead end. Electrical work is gonna be the death of me lol.
I will tell you, they have the absolute worst reputation of anyone as far as aftermarket gauges. Your gauge set may have taken a **** and there's no fixing it. Just an FYI.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
If the lock cylinder is worn and wont lock, you can change out the lock cylinder in the original column to make it start with a key.

chevy0079

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
I will tell you, they have the absolute worst reputation of anyone as far as aftermarket gauges. Your gauge set may have taken a **** and there's no fixing it. Just an FYI.
Really? That’s a shame… I’m really hoping it’s a fusible link just gotta do some research and see how to fix it. They were working good before this happen. It’s a shame I wanted to do a quick fix and now it’s more money I might have to spend.

chevy0079

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
If the lock cylinder is worn and wont lock, you can change out the lock cylinder in the original column to make it start with a key.
It was something in the locking mechanism I believe so I just figured to replace the column to make it look a lot better. Kinda wish I would have just left it now.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Really? That’s a shame… I’m really hoping it’s a fusible link just gotta do some research and see how to fix it. They were working good before this happen. It’s a shame I wanted to do a quick fix and now it’s more money I might have to spend.
I hope it's something simple for ya but I couldn't say outside of a ground or power wire issue. Unless something in it's circuit board has come loose. That's another possibility

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The fusible links look fine in your picture. They will be swollen if blown and yours look to be present and in good condition. Try wiggling the wires around near the start and see if that changes anything, if not, you might have an issue at the steering column wiring. I think you are at the point where you are going to have to start checking things with a multimeter or test light though.

chevy0079

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
The fusible links look fine in your picture. They will be swollen if blown and yours look to be present and in good condition. Try wiggling the wires around near the start and see if that changes anything, if not, you might have an issue at the steering column wiring. I think you are at the point where you are going to have to start checking things with a multimeter or test light though.
Ok thank you for that info. My next step is to switch out the ignition switches. Put the one from my old column to my new one. And what are some things to check for? Like where at? Electrical on automobiles is not my strongest at all. Thank you very much for your input.

chevy0079

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
The fusible links look fine in your picture. They will be swollen if blown and yours look to be present and in good condition. Try wiggling the wires around near the start and see if that changes anything, if not, you might have an issue at the steering column wiring. I think you are at the point
I had replaced my steering column, took off my battery for the install. Put it back on and left the keys on the “on” position. Since the fans came on that’s how I knew. Went to turn the key to off and notice the cluster was flicking on and off and after the truck not wanting to turn on the cluster is dead nothing at all. Any ideas where to start? I’m hoping I didn’t blew anything up. I would like to figured this out first and see why the cluster don’t come on. Not sure which gauges these are as they were on when I bought the truck. Thank y’all very much.
Update: I put the old ignition switch and she started up and gauges came on! I went to the parts store and bought a new one, guessing the switch that came with the column wasn’t the best. Thank you very much for y’all’s inputs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84sqbdy