Difficult start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scratcher

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
When I try to start it, it sound like my battery is dying. It cranks slowly but not enough to start it. With a jump it starts right up. Multimeter shows the battery to have 11.9 volts. Is there something wrong with my meter? The battery? The starter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 47

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Sounds like the battery to me too. The best way to test this would be to load test the battery and check starter draw but since most people don't have that kind of equipment at home, try leaving the headlights on for 10 minutes and see if it'll crank and check voltage. A good battery should have no issues with 10 minutes of the lights being on. But ya, from just the 11.9 and jump start really sounds like a battery. You could check to see if there is a sticker on the battery indicating age as well.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Rule of thumb 4-5 years on a wet battery. There are exceptions but a dead 4–5-year-old battery, get a new one. 11.9 is very low.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since you live in TX, I would go every 2-3 years for a battery. Heat kills them just like the cold.

BTW, after you replace the battery, check your terminal connections at the starter and on the alt bracket for cleanliness and tightness.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
11.9V at rest, static measurement is only 30-40% charged. Well below the recommended discharge level of a FLA battery.
Your battery is dead bro! What you do not mention is trying to charge it. Are you insinuating it won't hold a charge after being charged, or have you not attempted to charge it? (charger or by driving the truck)
Since you live in TX, I would go every 2-3 years for a battery. Heat kills them just like the cold.

BTW, after you replace the battery, check your terminal connections at the starter and on the alt bracket for cleanliness and tightness.
Heat is far worse than cold. Port Orchard WA is about the best possible naturally occurring climate for battery life. Never too hot, never too cold!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
When I try to start it, it sound like my battery is dying. It cranks slowly but not enough to start it. With a jump it starts right up. Multimeter shows the battery to have 11.9 volts. Is there something wrong with my meter? The battery? The starter?
Is it that voltage after you start it too? You might have a failed alternator and that's why the battery is low. 11.9 volts is going to be 50% or less total energy left in the battery. I would start with charging the battery and test voltage while running. If you aren't seeing 13.4-14.7v while running, you have an alternator issue.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Rule of thumb 4-5 years on a wet battery. There are exceptions but a dead 4–5-year-old battery, get a new one. 11.9 is very low.
I agree 4 - 5 years as an average rule. But of course some live shorter and longer lives. On the other hand if your battery just so happens to be getting up there in years it would just be further confirmation that it should be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28