Different masters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
So I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I find this odd. Kind of like why GM used this here and not there type of situation.

When I did the hydraboost swap into my Suburban I kept the master that came with it, which was out of a '79 K30. I noted the difference between the master that was in my truck and this one and used the K30 master figuring it had a bigger piston and would provide more braking pressure. Well my master has been leaking fluid out of the piston, which drains the rear reservoir, and it's dripping into the hydraboost return spring area and coming out of the weep hole on the bottom. Took me a while to find it. At first I thought it was a caliper, then the master cover, then checked all the lines until I pumped the brakes a bunch of times and then stood there and looked at the master cylinder and saw it drip out the back. It's coming time to change it but not sure which one to use or what, if any, are the differences between them all.

This is the one in the truck (obviously). The small reservoir is up front (drums) and the larger in back (disc).

You must be registered for see images attach

These are the 2 that I have as spares. The left one is the one that was in the truck when I bought it. It has 2 small reservoirs, which I always thought was drum/drum. The one on the right is out of my '75. Large in the front and small in the back, which is the 'normal' one I've seen all the time.

Which one would you guys suggest I try? Does anyone know the difference between them all besides the reservoir size and location? Other than putting the fitting in the hole it fits in does it matter?

I'm leaning towards the one on the right

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
If you know what vehicle the hydro-boost came from, would suggest that master cylinder, unless either of those 2 masters you have came from a hydro-boost setup. I may be wrong, but I'm very OCD when it comes to my vehicle brakes!

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
If you know what vehicle the hydro-boost came from, would suggest that master cylinder, unless either of those 2 masters you have came from a hydro-boost setup. I may be wrong, but I'm very OCD when it comes to my vehicle brakes!

The one that came with the hydroboost is the one that's in the truck and currently leaking! I don't want to buy another if I have one that will work lol

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
First picture is the one in my K30. The second was the one in my 79' K15 after the axle swap ('79 3/4 ton version). I had the reverse the lines as the reservoirs were opposite of the half ton.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im gunna say ask a ghost here.... @Honky Kong jr seems to have known quite a bit about hydro boost.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m in the same boat as Craig. Mine is the same as the first one you have pictured. I’d stick with a hydro boost specific master.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I really thought this was going to be a philosophical discussion about good versus evil. I wonder who else was sucked into this ready for some deep thoughts?

You mean Matthew 6:24

"No man can serve masters, either he will love one and hate the other....."

The two masters does not refer to people, but rather wealth and spiritual well being.

Philosophical enough?

On the leaking master - and I am no expert on this - but I think that the pedal rod needs to be changed/modified when switching to a hydro-boost M/C. Something to do with the piston bottoming out and causing seal leakage. Maybe look into that.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
You mean Matthew 6:24

"No man can serve masters, either he will love one and hate the other....."

The two masters does not refer to people, but rather wealth and spiritual well being.

Philosophical enough?

On the leaking master - and I am no expert on this - but I think that the pedal rod needs to be changed/modified when switching to a hydro-boost M/C. Something to do with the piston bottoming out and causing seal leakage. Maybe look into that.
REVEREND Jerry!!!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I really thought this was going to be a philosophical discussion about good versus evil. I wonder who else was sucked into this ready for some deep thoughts?

I too thought the SAME THING. @chengny thank you for satisfying that.
But I must admit. Every time I read your name. I Hear
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Haaa!

Chengny just stands for Chief Engineer Overseas New York. That's how they abbreviated the position on the payroll list. My avatar is the O/S New York. It's long gone, we're all shaving with it now.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The one on the right is out of my '75. Large in the front and small in the back, which is the 'normal' one I've seen all the time.

FYI, both of the ones I pictured have small in front and large in rear.

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
FYI, both of the ones I pictured have small in front and large in rear.

The second one looks like both are the same size, just like the one on the left in my second pic.

I found out what the major difference is though! So yeah, I have to order a new master cylinder. They don't stock them. The price in the parts store is the same as Rockauto but Rockauto has better brands. It would be easier with the parts store one in case of warranty though.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
ive got oem hydroboost and don't like the ugly and leaky master, so here my search: you can change it front iron to plastic square master or like a i want to do in the future swap it for early model but you have to change the HB unit

here my stock HB

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
here the part i find here and there to do my projet, some '99 2500 reservoir, 2005 Express master/reservoir and a S10 reservoir to clear the hood if i need to! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sriddle36