Different antenna for ETR radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do I need to install a different antenna for my 2700 ETR to pick up stations? Everything powers up and seems to work like it should except for no tuning. I can hear feedback through my speaker, the LED face lights up, I can switch between FM and AM, but nothing shows up as far as the frequencies for stations.

The guy I bought it from had it hooked up and working and cycled through stations when I went to buy it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '88 Burb has a factory fender mounted antenna, but I think that was the first year for it, maybe '87? I don't remember seeing pickups with those antennas just windshield mounted units, or some fender mounted aftermarket add-on.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
‘87 still had the windshield integrated antenna. Those ETRs were available in squares with the old style antenna for several years and only one year with the fender mounted antenna. I don’t think that’s the problem; my 2000 ETR will tune with no antenna input. The issue is that hardly anything will come out that way. I hate to be a naysayer and not have any advice, but maybe someone can follow up with a way forward. @hatzie maybe

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My '79 has the windshield antenna. I couldn't see the antenna being a problem, but I thought I would ask to be sure. I am more disappointed that it appears to have quit working in the time I bought it to the time I installed it. Which, I have heard reports of that happening unfortunately. I don't want to remove it and try my old working radio to test the antenna, as getting that ETR in there was a PITA.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The ETR radios were not noted for reliablity.
I've repaired several 90's GM radios with my hot air pencil that had multiple cold solder joints let go... A blast of hot air and some 60:40 solder and I was good to go. Electrolytic caps are suspect as well. The cans are usually a dead giveaway. They swell up and leak like old batteries. Get replacements with the same or larger voltage and the exact same farad ratings. New electrolytics tend to have smaller cans so fitment of a 50v in place of say a 25v cap will not usually be an issue.

The PC board traces were not decently plated so you can easily lift the traces if you get ham handed... sometimes even if you use a great deal of care. If you don't have the equipment and experience to repair it take it to someone who does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL