'Diesel rattle' in my 350...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Water-pump installed after work, 1st drive for it in years… no noise and ran pretty good.

thanks for everyone’s help!
Thank you for replying back after fixing it. A lot of people don't post back results.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah your right. Over been beat by a rubber hose though? Either way its hurts to not be careful.
When I said what I said I was thinking what might happen if a the broom handle hit the fan while against someone's ear. There is one tech at the shop that likes to use a wood broom handle and he has no problems using it safely. No I've not been beat by a rubber hose, but I have been beat by a dipstick. Well not really beat. Hit by one by someone that thought it would be funny, and trust me it was painful, not funny, he understood when I got even a few days later......

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Water-pump installed after work, 1st drive for it in years… no noise and ran pretty good.

thanks for everyone’s help!

It's a great feeling when it all comes together and the issue is resolved. Just as good, is when it is reported back what the issue was and how it was fixed.

I had a similar issue on my 91 Cherokee a few months back. It was quite a rattle under the hood. I couldn't tell if it was engine or accessory. Replaced the water pump and belt. Replacing the pump fixed it, but then the new pump's bearing went bad after about an hour of driving. Had to replace the new one with another new one, and that one went bad too. And the belt wasn't overtightened on either one, just tight enough to run all the electrical items and get no squeal, so it wasn't an overtight belt causing damage to the bearing. I noticed the new pump's bearings are very stiff. I had the store get a few pumps in and I took the one with the freest rotating bearing and then sprayed some silicone lubricant in the weep hole and rotated the pump few times over the course of about 5 days. That worked. But then the new belt squealed, REALLY BAD! WTF!!! New belt's are not supposed to squeal after a couple hours of being in use. Took it off and put on the old belt under the seat, that worked for about a day. Got a new belt under warranty, and that one failed. Dayco belts suck balls. Got a Gates belt and no more squeal.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hey wait a minute....HOLD ON!
I wanted to bitch about the lack of pictures in this thread and then....Oh yeah...dude posted videos. Does that count?

Is it supposed to be okay?

There is NO 79 BLAZER to ohhh and ahh at. I don't like it one bit I tell you!
Well, kinda I do but whatever.
At least it fixed.

For now!

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I wanted to bitch about the lack of pictures in this thread and then....Oh yeah...dude posted videos. Does that count?

At least it fixed.

For now!

Here's my old 78. Not 79 but close lol. Just for you.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size

At least it fixed.

For now!

Hey @Rusty Nail... as my old pop's would say "a picture is worth a thousand words"... but that was 40 years ago... what are comparable videos worth?

Concerning '7900_Blazer'... I cannot remember why I picked that username. Back almost 20 years ago I had an '86 Jeep CJ, and then upgraded to a '71 Blazer... along the way I picked that username but can't remember why.... and just kept it.... hope that's not over confusing....

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size

At least it fixed.

For now!
@Rusty Nail

Here are a couple of pics from driving it into the office this morning; just for you :)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
@Rusty Nail

Here are a couple of pics from driving it into the office this morning; just for you :)

About fricken time! Cool rig!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo,

What parts outlet did you get the pumps from? Many years ago, early '90's, Auto Zone came under a couple of FBI indictments for carrying counterfeit parts. The Customs Dept. raided a couple warehouses in China that were full of boxes that looked exactly like factory parts boxes except for some graphics details you wouldn't notice at first unless you put two boxes side buy side and then you'd see where the Chinese almost duplicated the factory box but couldn't copy the real factory box and come under fraud charges to, so some minor changes were made to get them into the country.

I got a couple of those parts, water pumps. The seals would go out in a day or so, and the bearing went out in a few hours. I took the last pump back and got a refund and went across the street and got a good one from another parts place. Needless to say I don't ever buy parts from Auto Zone anymore. It seems to me that either the parts you got were just bad manufacturing quality control or they're counterfeit. These days and times with everything coming from China these parts wouldn't necessarily be counterfeit, they're just bad stuff made by China. And they don't care either. They know the company will get the money back by people buying good parts. It's all a racket!! China is getting paid by, say Auto Zone when they buy the parts being made there. China gets their money.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo,

What parts outlet did you get the pumps from? Many years ago, early '90's, Auto Zone came under a couple of FBI indictments for carrying counterfeit parts. The Customs Dept. raided a couple warehouses in China that were full of boxes that looked exactly like factory parts boxes except for some graphics details you wouldn't notice at first unless you put two boxes side buy side and then you'd see where the Chinese almost duplicated the factory box but couldn't copy the real factory box and come under fraud charges to, so some minor changes were made to get them into the country.

I got a couple of those parts, water pumps. The seals would go out in a day or so, and the bearing went out in a few hours. I took the last pump back and got a refund and went across the street and got a good one from another parts place. Needless to say I don't ever buy parts from Auto Zone anymore. It seems to me that either the parts you got were just bad manufacturing quality control or they're counterfeit. These days and times with everything coming from China these parts wouldn't necessarily be counterfeit, they're just bad stuff made by China. And they don't care either. They know the company will get the money back by people buying good parts. It's all a racket!! China is getting paid by, say Auto Zone when they buy the parts being made there. China gets their money.

I got them from Car Quest, that is now Advance Auto. They were in car quest boxes, though, they were the old stock. I had this happen with dealer water pumps in the mid-2000s when I had to replace the water pump. Got three of them from the dealer and had to return each one. After the third one I got my refund and went to car quest and that one lasted 15 years and about 120k miles. Can't complain about that. The build quality of the units themselves were spot on, just the bearings were very snug, too snug for my liking. I bought an extra pump with a decent bearing so I have one on hand. I have been doing that in recent years, buying an extra of certain parts, with the thinking that the crappy part I get now will be of better quality than the crappy part I will get 20 years from now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK