Diesel radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
hey guys, I’ve searched and found a lengthy thread about the diesel radiators and how only plastic ones are available from local parts stores now. I have found some all aluminum ones online also.

From the guys who’ve bought aftermarket radiators, how have they held up? I hate the look/idea of plastic radiator tanks but also don’t want to put money into my brass radiator to get it re-cored, if I can even find a local radiator shop that’ll still do that. Only to have one of the oil coolers fail in the tank because it’s 33 years old.

So, whose radiator seems to be the best? Should I just get a Napa one because they’re local and easy to get if something should go wrong? Or spring for an all aluminum one from the interwebs and cross my fingers?

Thanks guys!

Ben

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I changed my brass-copper for an aluminum-plastic Harrison many years ago and wish I had done I sooner.
Obviously Harrison isn't around anymore, but it probably was swallowed up by Delphi.

My guess is that the size and core count of the original radiator wasn't capable of dealing with the vibration that the diesel imparted to it.

I've replaced a lot of brass-copper radiators. I've never replaced the Harrison.

YMMV.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
The core of mine is getting soft in the bottom corners and starting to weep a bit. Structurally it’s fine, just age and corrosion is taking its toll.

How many rows is your radiator? I don’t tow or anything strenuous with this truck, but do want to make it long road trip ready for some trips next year with the family.

Thanks.

Ben

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Mine is not a Diesel, but replaced my brass a few months ago with aluminum and plastic. My reasoning was that I will LIKELY have some indicator it will be going out. If/when that happens, I can order a new one and still drive with the leaky one until it comes in. Replace it the same day and bring the old one back, covered under lifetime warranty. The new one cools better than my 4 core brass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128