Dial back timing light for MSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Hey guys. I have this Innova 3568a light that’s been good for my needs except it doesn’t seem to work with MSD boxes. Anyone have an analog or digital dial back that they know for sure works with an MSD?
You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’ve never had an issue but also never used a digital light like that, what problems are you having?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ve never had an issue but also never used a digital light like that, what problems are you having?
I won’t register anything. The multiple sparks at idle confuses it, I guess...

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Okay, upon further investigation, people say typically a low buck, standard inductive type light has a higher probability of working. So I bought a cheap $45 light. Still no go.

Then I thought about my suppressor wires. Turns out the msd superconductor wires suppress so well, they can make it difficult for timing lights to work. I’ll try a cheapy wire on #1 tomorrow night.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Update! My thesis about my msd superconductor 8.5mm wires was correct. I pulled one of the street fire wires from my 327 and the timing light worked perfect. So if you guys are ever having issues with a timing light not strobing, maybe it’s your suppressor wires. On a side note, I guess I can be confident that good msd wires really do suppress EMI. Also, the shielding works good, as I left the disconnected wire laying against my header for about 15 minutes of fiddling and nothing happened to it.
You must be registered for see images attach