Detent Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
C2500 Suburban & C1500 Pick Up
Engine Size
350M & 305H
I have a 1975 Pontiac Parisienne – one of the “New for ‘71” bigger better GM B bodies that ended in ’76.
As it is a Canadian Pontiac it has a Chevrolet “Power Team” (we used to call them Cheviacs/ Caprisiennes etc.) it this case a SBC 400 Qjet (orange motor) and M38 THM 350 CBC. It has some interesting options (one ‘family’ since new), but they are not related to my request for help (I don’t think).
The detent cable is routed though the bulkhead and attached to the throttle pedal; there is a bracket for usual cable location but it does not appear to have ever been used.
There are some very informed and experienced transmission experts on this forum and I reckon this is easy-peasy question for them. The advertising language at the time bragged about powertrain calibrations that improved fuel economy; my Caprisienne shifts pretty darn fast but will kick down at 75 mph without any fuss (I will know more when I get some new tires). The THM 350 in my ’81 C1500 behaves very differently – as a truck should I suppose – but then I usually “drive it like I stole it” as my Dad used to say.
I hope I did not muck up the uploads, may should have used a thumbnail only.
Thanks,
PMac.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe I missed it, what is the question?

My '73 Chevelle has the same setup. The throttle bracket has the provisions for a standard type detent cable like yours does. It's a setup that I'm sure I have seen a bazillion times, just never actually paid enough attention to notice it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, in that first picture, is that some type of repair clamp to hold the exhaust to the manifold? I've not seen that before.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yours don't need the bracket because yours is using the type that goes to the gas pedal through the firewall rather than being hooked to the carb linkage. The drawback to the gas pedal style is that's it really not adjustable. You get what you get, where as the type that uses that bracket you point out, you can shorten or lengthen the adjustment to change the attitude of the transmission or change the kickdown points. Easily converted though since you have the bracket if you have the correct linkage arm on the carb. Simply swap the cable type to the carb mounted type cable. You don't have to drop the pan to change the cable. All you should need is a 7/16's wrench to remove the cable from the transmission.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
Maybe I missed it, what is the question?

My '73 Chevelle has the same setup. The throttle bracket has the provisions for a standard type detent cable like yours does. It's a setup that I'm sure I have seen a bazillion times, just never actually paid enough attention to notice it.

You answered the question - I have not seen this before, or never noticed it. Thanks.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
Also, in that first picture, is that some type of repair clamp to hold the exhaust to the manifold? I've not seen that before.

Very common repair, exhaust stove heat is very important in this part of the world.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
Yours don't need the bracket because yours is using the type that goes to the gas pedal through the firewall rather than being hooked to the carb linkage. The drawback to the gas pedal style is that's it really not adjustable. You get what you get, where as the type that uses that bracket you point out, you can shorten or lengthen the adjustment to change the attitude of the transmission or change the kickdown points. Easily converted though since you have the bracket if you have the correct linkage arm on the carb. Simply swap the cable type to the carb mounted type cable. You don't have to drop the pan to change the cable. All you should need is a 7/16's wrench to remove the cable from the transmission.

Thanks, you sparked an old memory! I might adjust the free-play on the cable if required - after I get my new tires; if the trans will kick down at 80, I will not twist my old spine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trchno