Delay Module location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Well, the delay wiper delay function is not working on my '86. I tried the search feature and it's looking like I need to replace the module. I further read that by removing the panel underneath the column, that I would find it.

Below is what I see....can anybody tell me where the dang module is?

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 984

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
In mine, I took out the pipe that goes to the driver's side vent to do some work, and everyone I drive it, it falls down out of there and dangles. It might be sitting on top of that pipe, or I don't know if it bolts to something. It's a gray and black little box that's about the size of a Kit Kat, maybe a little longer. It also has these fins in the body of the module.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
In mine, I took out the pipe that goes to the driver's side vent to do some work, and everyone I drive it, it falls down out of there and dangles. It might be sitting on top of that pipe, or I don't know if it bolts to something. It's a gray and black little box that's about the size of a Kit Kat, maybe a little longer. It also has these fins in the body of the module.

I've been wondering if it is under the ducting. I was reluctant to remove it as it's a bit tricky to install.

If I don't receive a definitive answer, I'll remove it and have a look.

Thanks for your response

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Underneath the dash behind the ducting and tucked up under the lower part of the steering column. Its a black plastic box with aluminum cooling fins on it. You can source them on fleebay for $40. I thought mine went bad, but it ended up being the wiper motor instead.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Underneath the dash behind the ducting and tucked up under the lower part of the steering column. Its a black plastic box with aluminum cooling fins on it. You can source them on fleebay for $40. I thought mine went bad, but it ended up being the wiper motor instead.

Great...thanks for the info. Does the ducting have to come out?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
More than likely. The p.o. had previously removed the duct. It made it easier to locate the delay module , by a pita to source a new duct. I ended up using some sluminum flex duct until i can source the plastic piece.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
More than likely. The p.o. had previously removed the duct. It made it easier to locate the delay module , by a pita to source a new duct. I ended up using some sluminum flex duct until i can source the plastic piece.

Well, I got my handy dandy flashlight and went out and started looking. I'm not finding any kind of finned module like you fellas described.

I assumed I have delay wipers because the turn signal stalk indicates such. It may be that somebody swapped a delay stalk for a non-functional non-delay stalk.

As for that piece of ducting, I bought it from LMC for $25.00, I think.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I remembered that I have the RPO sheet in my glove compartment.....delay wipers are not listed. Might explain why mine won't work. Drats!

Chisum72

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you had delay wipers, the module would plug in between the 2 7 pin connectors in your pictures. That's all there is to it, plus the delay turn signal lever. I can get you pics if you would like, plus I think I have a couple spares.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If you had delay wipers, the module would plug in between the 2 7 pin connectors in your pictures. That's all there is to it, plus the delay turn signal lever. I can get you pics if you would like, plus I think I have a couple spares.

This is good info! I have all the stuff in a box if this is true!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There are no wires, switches or contacts within the MFS stalk itself - unless equipped with cruise control. A CC type stalk does have one 4 conductor cable that connects to the mode control switch on the end. The actual MFS is located under the steering column casing and the stalk is essentially just a long handle to operate the switch.

The switch used with base wipers has only 3 positions (Off, Slow & Fast - plus a momentary "mist" position) and uses a 5 lead harness:

You must be registered for see images attach

The switch used with pulsed wipers has the same Off, Slow & Fast (and Mist) settings. But between the off and slow positions there is another setting called Delay. This setting has a variable 3 position range for controlling the frequency of wiper arm sweeps when the pulsed wipers are used. Another difference is that the harness used with intermittent wipers requires 7 leads:

Last edited:

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Thanks everybody for the input!

The stalk I have looks like the bottom one. Somebody must have swapped it out in the past.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73

As Chisum72 says, I think you are missing the module between those connectors. My truck did not originally have delay wipers. I had to replace the MFS so I got one with delay. With the two wire harnesses connected directly together the low/high and wash function worked but not delay function. I later picked up two delay modules from the junk yard, disconnected the connector, inserted the module in between and now I have delay wipers.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
As Chisum72 says, I think you are missing the module between those connectors. My truck did not originally have delay wipers. I had to replace the MFS so I got one with delay. With the two wire harnesses connected directly together the low/high and wash function worked but not delay function. I later picked up two delay modules from the junk yard, disconnected the connector, inserted the module in between and now I have delay wipers.

If the truck had delay the cab and column plugs would not mate together. The non delay switch has the same gender (male) connector as the cab side of the delay module.

The delay switch connector is female and the cab harness connector is female they need the module in between the cab and delay column switch plugs.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the truck had delay the cab and column plugs would not mate together. The non delay switch has the same gender (male) connector as the cab side of the delay module.

The delay switch connector is female and the cab harness connector is female they need the module in between the cab and delay column switch plugs.

This is incorrect. You can remove the module and plug the harness together without it. I've got a delay module sitting right here as I type this, one end is male while the other end is female.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcmrose