Dash light short?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I've got a 91 burb. I cleaned up the whole dash console with LEDs, dusted, cleaned, etc. Replaced speakers while I had the dash apart. I got it all back together, working and looking great!

Then it was time for the stereo install. The previous owner had an"interesting" wiring job. The aftermarket stereo power line was stolen from the under dash for light... No big deal, I've seen worse... As I was getting the new deck wired, I attached the battery to make sure it was all working before I buttoned it up. Everything looked and sounded great! But a couple wires were tangled...

In the process of untangling, like an idiot, I dropped the hot wire and it touched the dash with a single spark... I lost power, to that line, and to the whole dash (urn signals, 4wd, and check engine lights so still work)!!

Now here's the kicker, not a single fuse is blown! I've verified, there is no power going to that wire.

I'm not sure where to go from here! Thoughts?

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Anyone :)

Electrical is possibly my biggest weakness, in trying to learn... My best guess is I'm dealing with a fried wire somewhere. Problem is, I'm not quite sure how to go about trouble shooting this. Do I hook up a solid ground to my volt meter and start piercing the wires in line until I get a signal?

I'm looking for the applicable wiring diagram now.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Your best bet is to trace the power wire back to the fuse block and replace that whole run.

Was it tapped on the line side(from fuse block) of the light switch or the load side(to the dash lights)?

If it’s the latter, wouldn’t your stereo only power on when your lights are on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes