Dash cluster light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SL87Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
My cluster lights were not working due to having issues with not getting power to my Inst Lps fuse but now its fixed. The problem that i cant figure is why its not getting to my cluster. The printed circuit works fine bc if i bridge one line (light green) that has power to a light grey line it works! I've replaced the dimmer switch and all my lights work except the instrument panel. Check my photo, this is the only way I've gotten the lights to work. What is the grey line for? Should it have power (does not when i test it)? Which other colors are supposed to have power bc not all of them do.

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Check that the plug for the instrument lighting circuit is correctly seated in one of the fuse block sockets (in the column labeled LPS).

SL87Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Am i missing something here in that spot?

SL87Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Is there supposed to be a wire into the lps column?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is there supposed to be a wire into the lps column?

Yes there should be a plug (with a grey wire) in one of the LPS sockets. That is the feed for the instrument cluster lighting:

Hunt around under the dash - it is probably hanging loose somewhere.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
Look how nice and uncluttered your fuse box is. When I bought my 1984 Suburban in California 10 years ago, not one single light bulb illuminated. And when I just bought my 1984 K5 Blazer in San Francisco, again not one single dashboard lamp was working, except the heater control. So when I stopped at my friend's junkyard in Colorado, I replaced every bulb with known good used ones, and nothing worked, so I had to polish the brass contacts on the sockets on every single one to get the lights to come on, and that included the high beam and turn signal. Took me 3 hours to get my dash to light up. And I still have one bulb on the far right of the fuel gauge that refuses to cooperate. Curiously, my dash included warning lenses for diesel, and one wire and socket to illuminate said diesel lens. But the truck is definitely a gasser, I am perplexed!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey