Dana 44 fill capacity- is there ever "too much"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I bought a Riddler protective differential cover for my front axle to match my rear axle. I saw on the packaging as a benefit it said "additional fluid capacity". The cover itself is physically about the same size as the stock one. Before I replaced it I measured from the fill port on the stock one to the ground. 14.5"
The new one is 16.5"

I sat and thought about this way longer than I probably should have. How much should I fill it?

The owners manual for my truck says 2.125 quarts. BUT- this was before I added the Trutrac differential. This would displace more volume. So instead of volume I figured the important thing is fill height. I measured up 14.5" and made a small mark on the new differential cover.

So I added 2.125 quarts and let it settle. I then bent a zip tie to use as a dip stick. The level was lower than my mark. I added a total 2.4 quarts and the level is now 1/8'? 1/4"? higher than my mark.

I thought that was good- but wanted to throw this out there to you guys.

Stay with that? Or keep filling (it would be 1.75") of more gear oil. That would probably be 3 quarts? 3.5 quarts?

I have heard that overfilling will cause you to lose fluid out your differential vent or it will blow out your axle seals. Have no idea if there is truth to that.

What determined where the factory put the fill port? Needed to be high enough for the ring gear to fling oil around but not so much that it was swimming and created too much drag? And more drag in the fluid would mean maybe more heat? (completely guessing here).

Thoughts?

You must be registered for see images attach

The stock location is kinda inline with the bottom of the axle tubes.

The new cover fill is closer to the top of the axle tube.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd say to just run it how you have it, you already know that fill height works. It looks like that fill port would fill the pumpkin almost 3/4 full?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If you fill to the new level plug, you will have half full axle tubes as well. Don't do it. Three parts to Banks'es video. Watch them all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I forgot about those videos- I previously only watched the part about the flat/square back causing the gear oil to splatter everywhere and just heat up.

He (Banks) does cover how much fluid to add- and that is to keep it at the stock level height wise.

So I feel good about the level.

This isn't a highway truck. I take backroads and typically drive no more than 60 mph. It is for going slower on forest service roads to remote lakes or having fun on trails.

Thanks for the input guys.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I just watched them again. Great videos, I like that guy and decided diff covers were just bling.
Especially in my application. I always thought those flat back deals were freaking dumb . "Have you never seen whats behind it? Looks NOTHING like that stupid flat **** Plus, Arent the big ass heat soaker fins on the wrong side to be effective?

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. what. TF. ever.
'Merica!

No reason to spend a gang on bling, really just wanted to swap out stamped steel for cast aluminum at almost every available opportunity so I bought "finned stock replacement" with 'added capacity' ? :shrug:.... little pinché fins look like the valve covers so there's that....matchy. Filled them as normal with conventional GL-5 and stopped thinking about it.

Bling bling! Looks freaking cool. Every day and I love them. Runs WAY COOLER to the touch :imo:
I guess... lol

Would buy again.

Bout $50/each

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i mean i would spring for a new cover if it meant ditching a ****** thin stamping for something that could resist deforming under finger threading amounts of torque
my fErd 8.8 is a good example of ****** covers. I am surprised I was able to use a paper gasket that I made, cut it correctly because im a goof, and then also have it seal well with the campsite tin plate cover and its weak af composition
especially because of the rust on the sealing side had creeped in to the inner outer diameter of the whole thing, so if i over sanded it would prob leak and if I didnt sand enough it would prob leak.
could have filled in with epoxy i guess..

Attachments

• IMG_2833.PNG
    IMG_2833.PNG
    815 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2832.PNG
    IMG_2832.PNG
    993.7 KB · Views: 89

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ Why would you paint the inside? Pretty sure the oil will eat the paint off.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
^ Why would you paint the inside? Pretty sure the oil will eat the paint off.
that isnt the inside. its a trick of the blue and the photo angle. The inside was wiped clean and it just clean stamp steel Basically, look at the second photo as if the lower left side/half is standing up, then you see the pan right. Its laying down flat on a piece of wood, so it has to be outside-up. I actually saw that right away too and was like "what" lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Optical delusion…could see zooming in. Sorry!