Dakota Digital VHX ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZGJim

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350-4bbl
For those who have installed the VHX gauges, where did you mount the control box? The one in my kit is 7" x 4" and I'm not seeing a good place to mount it. There is a nice spot on the trans tunnel, but the instructions warn against mounting too near the HEI distributor. It would be about as close as it could and still be in the interior. All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Leach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
@wlwarnke has the RTX box mounted behind the gauge cluster on a custom bracket, there's a picture somewhere on here but I cant find it.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Usually something like this. My shop is about to release a bracket for mounting. It will hold the box vertical instead though.

This is right behind the gauges too since it's kind of a close up picture

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1655402597572.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655402597572.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 86

ZGJim

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking about.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

Attachments

• D5F2CA27-ADB2-40FD-BFD9-5A5D74E20B62.jpeg
    D5F2CA27-ADB2-40FD-BFD9-5A5D74E20B62.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 69

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I just zip tied mine to the harness that comes up behind the cluster because I didn't know about those brackets/didn't think to make one lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like the others I made a flat plate that covers the steering column bracket behind the gauge pod and used vlecro to attach the VHX module to it.

On a side note, I'm not happy with the material the gauge housing is made from. It's very brittle. Almost every tab was broken off the next time I removed the cluster. The screws weren't over tightened, it was just from normal vibration and/or interior temperatures. I didn't want to send it back because I loved the gauges and figured a replacement would do the same thing. I ended up making metal reinforcing brackets for all but one original tab. It did the trick. Most people won't know the tabs are broken until they have to get into the dash because the cluster will just float behind the bezel and you will never know.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Like the others I made a flat plate that covers the steering column bracket behind the gauge pod and used vlecro to attach the VHX module to it.

On a side note, I'm not happy with the material the gauge housing is made from. It's very brittle. Almost every tab was broken off the next time I removed the cluster. The screws weren't over tightened, it was just from normal vibration and/or interior temperatures. I didn't want to send it back because I loved the gauges and figured a replacement would do the same thing. I ended up making metal reinforcing brackets for all but on original tab. It did the trick. Most people won't know the tabs are broken until they have to get into the dash because the cluster will just float behind the bezel and you will never know.
That's upsetting...

FYI Dakota Digital seems to have great customer service, the locking tab on my oil sending harness snapped off the first time I hooked it up & they sent me a replacement with no questions asked... didn't even ask for proof of purchase

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size

On a side note, I'm not happy with the material the gauge housing is made from. It's very brittle. Almost every tab was broken off the next time I removed the cluster. The screws weren't over tightened, it was just from normal vibration and/or interior temperatures. I didn't want to send it back because I loved the gauges and figured a replacement would do the same thing. I ended up making metal reinforcing brackets for all but one original tab. It did the trick. Most people won't know the tabs are broken until they have to get into the dash because the cluster will just float behind the bezel and you will never know.
Good tip on the reinforcement of the bracket. I'll definitely do that on my RTXs, they were way to expensive for anything to break on them lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey