Dakota Digital VHX Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This is an install of the Dakota Digital/Analog gauge cluster in a 74 Chevy c10 truck.

Some of the recommended things you need beside the gauge cluster is a wiring schematic of your particular year truck and a good voltmeter or test light. You will also need assorted tools, extra wire, wire connectors and screws. I suggest a soldering iron and solder but it is not really required. I solder all wiring connections and also tined my wires that connect to the control box.

You must be registered for see images attach

READ THE INSTRUCTION, MOUNTING MANUALs that came with the new cluster and also check the packing list to make sure you have all the parts.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Disconnect your battery.

Remove your old gauge cluster and also your speedometer cable if you have one. You will not be using the cable for this install nor anything other than your gear shift indicator mechanism from the cluster. Since my old cluster was already out I did not document the removal of the old cluster. Do a search here and you can find instructions on how to remove your existing cluster. DON’T forget to remove the screw that connects the wire for the shift indicator to the steering column. I always forget this one and end up breaking the indicator.

Go under the hood and remove your water temp and oil sender unit from your engine. These will be replaced by the ones in the kit. Remove the speedometer cable from the transmission if you haven’t already done so.
Install the oil, temp and speedometer sender units from the kit. If your original speedometer is electronic you set it up later. You can use the hole left by the speedometer cable to route the wires for the oil, temp and speedo into the cab.

Last edited:

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Back in the cab decide where you want to mount the control box for the new gauges. I mounted mine on the right side of the pedal /bake assembly. I used sheet metal screws and some nylon stand offs to secure the box. I used the stand offs because I wanted the wires to run behind the control box. I also made my wire connections long enough to be able to wire my control box with it in my hand and then mounted it under the dash.

Grab a cold beverage, wiring schematic and the instruction manual. Find the wire color of ones needed in the instruction manual. I replaced my original wire harness with a street rod harness so I didn’t need a schematic for my truck.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You will not need the original oil and temp wire but you will need an extra ground wire.

Most of the needed wires can be found in the connector for the original cluster. Just follow the instruction manual.

Below are a few suggestions about wiring the cluster.

I used the clock circuit of my harness to provide the constant 12V to the control box. If your stock cluster had a clock you can use that wire or tap off your cig lighter etc. Just make sure it’s a fused circuit.

Use the switch 12v and ground that was used by the original cluster.

Dakota digital recommends a ground wire be run from the sending unit in the gas tank to the control box. I didn’t do this, the sender is grounded so I just grounded the control box terminal for gas- to the same ground for the control box. Don’t panic if the first time you power up the new cluster and the gas gauge don’t work. You have to go into the setup of the cluster and set the OHM value before the gas gauge will work.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The cluster has indicators for turn and high beam built into the tach gauge, digital readout panels and the original location.

You can use the above for turn indicators, the green lights under the cluster or both. If using the original indicator location you will need to splice an extra connector into the turn signal feed from the control box. The extra(white) connectors come in the kit.

There is two(Black) control switches in the kit. These will be used to setup the cluster as well as control the output of the display panels. I suggest mounting them somewhere that you can reach while driving because this cluster can do ¼ mile time, 0-60 times and high RPM and speed recall.

Last edited:

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There are only three connectors (One if you don’t use the original turn signal location) that go to the cluster. Connect the CAT 5 cable, mount the cluster and follow the instructions in the manual for setting up the cluster.

The dimming of the backlights for night driving is NOT controlled by the original dimmer in the head light switch. They can be statically set in the setup but if you want to control back lighting on the fly you will need the optional dimmer control switch. You can also do away with your shift indicator with the optional shift module. There are a number of add-ons listed on the Dakota Digital site.

The instruction manual is well written and very detail. PDF links for the manuals are on the side of this page.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=158/category_id=421/mode=prod/prd158.htm

Hopes this helps and post any questions you have or PM me and I will try to answer them.

Last edited:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Great write up! Thanks for sharing. When it all soaks in Im sure Ill have a few questions.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
WOW those look great!!! I kinda like those VHX gauges better than my straight digital version :waytogo: Looks like the wiring is pretty close to the same as mine were, too. Very cool!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes! I love these VHX gauges! Especially now that they have added a white version to the blue and red. I have basically abandoned my factory tach cluster because I want these. On montecarloss.com there was a thread about these clusters and they showed a picture of a custom white version with orange needles. It is exactly what I want for my truck. I will see if I can find the pic and post it here.

Found it...

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Man that's sexy!!! I wonder if I got someof they'd be a direct replacement for my existing Dakota digital gauges?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Shoot them an e-mail. They will be able to tell you. I have a feeling it possibly could be a direct swap. The VHX's are simply digital function gauges with an analog face. At least that is how I understand it.

I should mention, the "custom" part of the gauges I posted, the needle color basically, is an option DD offers through their custom options. One option they do not offer is to do the VHX's in green. Not that anyone here besides me might want it that way.

LS-5

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LS6/4L60e Swap
robert8096,

PM sent

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its to bad they don't come in KM/H I would love to have those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell