Dad's "Old" Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimeExposure

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
4.8L
Greetings! My first post, so I thought the Introduction section was a good start (people read these)?

My Dad (step-father) bought a new GMC Sierra 2500 (C2500) in September 1982 from the Oakland (California) GMC Truck Center (by the Coliseum where the Athletics play baseball and the Raiders used to play football if anyone is from the Bay Area and remembers the fleet truck dealer). Dad didn't need the truck for work, he just wanted the truck, and wasn't willing to pay all the money for a fancy one.

The truck has an in-line six (4.8L) and a 3 (forward) speed manual transmission (stick on the floor). It does have power steering (thank goodness), and a sliding rear window. No air conditioning, no headliner, no power windows or locks, just the basics. The heater and gas gauge don't work anymore, but it runs well.

Best of all, the truck was never in an accident. Even the bumpers look good! And on a long body wideside, you really notice how straight it is. The "downsides" are mostly cosmetic. The interior needs a new everything (dash, door panels, glove box repair, seats, etc.). I will probably start there since the engine (220k total and 60k on a 20-year old rebuild) runs well, and the transmission is fine. I have very limited experience working on car engines (and little confidence), so the "go" parts might have to be done by a professional. We'll see how I feel about that as I tinker with it.

As for the rust, most of it is surface rust, though the top rail of the bed (left side) seems a little more corroded than the rest. It was parked outside it's whole life, and the left side faced west (Nor Cal setting sun). I actually like the look of the rust on the white paint. It's an honest work-truck look. I recently discovered that there is a whole culture of truck fanatics that preserve/enhance the "rusty look." I get it!

So I'll be posting questions asking for advice and tips once I work through a couple of projects at home. I know forums love photos, so hopefully my first attempt posting them will work. I wasn't sure about sharing license plate numbers (does anyone care? should I care since it's the evil internet?) so pardon my poor photoshop skills on those beautiful faded original blue California plates!

You must be registered for see images attach

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Welcome! It’s always cool to see another Cali truck. I purchased mine from Oakland, but I don’t know if it was originally sold at the GMC Truck Center. I’d be cool if it was. Keep us posted on the progress on your truck and ask questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that can help out.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Nice survivor ! Welcome from Florida

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
yeah this truck is really nice! interiors aren't that bad to redo, i find it fun. the rust patina does look really cool, i'd keep that. the historical plates too, LOVE that. I live by that personally. AND MY OPINION i never was the biggest fan of the early 80s grilles/lights. I'd swap it over to like a mid 80s (pictured below) with the parking lamps in the grille, it's all easily interchangeable (that's just me though, you do you). But anyway, i think she's a solid truck my friend. WELCOME TO THE FORUM FROM WESTERN PA

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
:welcome: from the South. Nice ol' truck. Have fun keeping it going !

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Welcome, From Norcal also north of you, Redding area! Looks like we have another happy California Truck to follow!

TimeExposure

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
4.8L
Thanks for the Welcomes!

My mom just texted me pics of a 1982 Chilton manual, and a 1982 GMC Service manual, so I’ll be picking those up on our next visit.

Just about to go peak at the glove box. I know the latch cover won’t stay put (but will unlatch if you hold it against the door and turn it). It’s a no-key version. However, when the box is lowered it wants to keep coming out. Guessing the hinge is broken. Since I’m starting on interior stuff I’ll start with a little project before I try replacing seat cushions/upholstery, dash pad, door panels, window stuff...

I’m glad there’s no power locks or windows. The less challenge the better for a newbie like me! But I am excited to work on it. I really haven’t wrenched on a car since I was a teenager keeping my 1969 Beetle running. So at 54 years old, I figure I should get that checkbox updated on my Man Card!

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from Ohio. That's a really nice solid truck. Looks great the way it is.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome from New England!

This guy's starting off on the right foot, pictures and all :waytogo:

That's a pretty solid looking truck. I also like how simple it is (doesn't get much more basic than that), should be a great place to hone those wrenching skill. I like your plan starting small to build up confidence, hah you'll be rebuilding engines in no time. You've certainly come to the right place, there's tons of great info here and some really knowledgeable guys (and gals), most everyone is pretty cool here too (unlike some other forums populated with self righteous pricks). Keep us posted how it goes!

And for what it's worth no I really wouldn't worry too much about license plates in photos, realistically thousands of strangers you drive by on the street see your plates every day, a few more guys on the internet won't hurt. For someone to track you down or something they'd need access to the DMV database or the like which I really couldn't understand why someone like that would be out looking for rusty '82 GMCs lol. Unless you're planning on posting about horrendously illegal stuff, really there's nothing bad that can happen from people seeing your plate number, or even VIN for that matter. Not like it's your social security number or something that can affect your life.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome from N. Texas.

Great looking truck. Really like that GMC grille!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard :boti:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
yeah this truck is really nice! interiors aren't that bad to redo, i find it fun. the rust patina does look really cool, i'd keep that. the historical plates too, LOVE that. I live by that personally. AND MY OPINION i never was the biggest fan of the early 80s grilles/lights. I'd swap it over to like a mid 80s (pictured below) with the parking lamps in the grille, it's all easily interchangeable (that's just me though, you do you). But anyway, i think she's a solid truck my friend. WELCOME TO THE FORUM FROM WESTERN PA

Not extremely complicated, but it does require a core support, headlights, running lights, dual headlight front harness, grill, bezels, etc

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Clean truck man!

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle. That's a good straight truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey