D30 Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
There seems to be some members on this site that are knowledgeable with the 12/24V electrical systems in these trucks. Curious if anyone has any resources available or suggestions on where to look for wiring diagrams for them. Had a look under the hood of the new to me '86 this morning and all appears to be OE with nothing cut. Not looking to add the dual generators system myself at this point, but would like to keep the 24V side complete in the event that changes or finds another owner.
@Dooley , Really like what you have done with yours and the idea of keeping everything as original as possible greatly interests me.
Here's a pic of what it looks like now.
Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Attachments

• IMG_6761.JPG
    IMG_6761.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6765.JPG
    IMG_6765.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 45

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There seems to be some members on this site that are knowledgeable with the 12/24V electrical systems in these trucks. Curious if anyone has any resources available or suggestions on where to look for wiring diagrams for them. Had a look under the hood of the new to me '86 this morning and all appears to be OE with nothing cut. Not looking to add the dual generators system myself at this point, but would like to keep the 24V side complete in the event that changes or finds another owner.
@Dooley , Really like what you have done with yours and the idea of keeping everything as original as possible greatly interests me.
Here's a pic of what it looks like now.
Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
The diagrams are available over at steel soldiers. Are you planning on picking up another J code 6.2 for it?

What I’d do is take a lot of pictures to document placement, then pull all the excess wiring and unused electronics out and store them in case you ever want to go back. No need in having a bunch of unused 40 year old wiring if you are trying to trouble shoot your small block swapped cucv. Keep it simple. For now, the military trucks are not fetching the premiums that short bed Silverado K10s are fetching. So unless plans are to return it to 100% factory, I’d simplify the wiring in a ‘reversible’ fashion.

Just the opinion of guy with a CUCV who can’t stand to look at clutter and likes to clean everything up. However, I have no plans on selling the truck.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Thanks Jeremy. I will check them out.
No plans for going back to the diesel for myself. Diesel prices up here are quite bit higher than gas. Fuel system adjustments (incl. pulling tank) will be at the top of the list, but that is pretty straight forward.
Still in the planning stage in regards to how far I am going to take the rest of it.
Removing the unnecessary (for my purpose) 24v system in the fashion you describe is the route I am planning. It was brought to my attention that a portion of it's fuse panel is currently tied into that system though. Was thinking, laying out it's diagram next to the same vintage K series, would help me to do that in the least invasive way.
At this point, selling is not in the plan. I do want to make my mod's reversible though, if that ever changes.
More likely, this truck will be passed down to my oldest son when my adventuring days have faded out. He has already made it clear to me it is a dream truck to him. :cool:
With the price of a couple new quads or a side by side with trailer, this truck build seems like a smarter place to burn up my budget.
Thanks again!

@Frankenchevy

Had a look at their site. Was able to get everything I was looking for. Thank you!

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Was thinking, laying out it's diagram next to the same vintage K series, would help me to do that in the least invasive way.
The reference library here has all the diagrams, etc for all the civi trucks. As you said, you could compare them side by side. Some of the harnesses are the same or similar. As a bonus, you can keep the blackout switches for the lights. If you really want to go dark, you can install a set of IR NVIS lamps and wear a set of NVGs while you drive. Just watch out for any headlights coming in the opposite direction!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey