Custom grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok so I need ideas for a grille, I'm thinking an angle outer boarder and a square tube main that follows the bezel lines (same as factory). I was thinking cut the square tube in half and then mount two single row light bars behind an expanded cover kinda thing. And making a little 305 badge how they did on the 70s trucks... I'd appreciate any other ideas or suggestions on making the grille any other function or visual ideas are gonna help me a lot please and thank you
You must be registered for see images

(Uploaded a few pictures of new ideas, and other builds)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Sounds like a cool idea.

Biggest thing seems to be determining how you're gonna mount it to the radiator support?

Also, are you going for an inset grille like the 73-74 or the flat face similar to the rest of the grilles?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Sounds like a cool idea.

Biggest thing seems to be determining how you're gonna mount it to the radiator support?

Also, are you going for an inset grille like the 73-74 or the flat face similar to the rest of the grilles?
I already have a rad support I made, rad is fully attached to the core support I've got a ton of room to play with here

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Sounds like a cool idea.

And I'm gonna try to keep the main frame and center section as similar to an 80s grille as possible, with a handful of modern touches that come to mind along this process

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Thinkin 1" angle and 1" square tube? How long of light bars? 8"? 12"?

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thinkin 1" angle and 1" square tube? How long of light bars? 8"? 12"?
Lights are gonna probably be about 6", square tube will probably be about 1.5" to 2" and 1" angle

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
drew up a quick sketch of your idea based off my 74 grille dimensions (50" x 11"). 2" outer radius with 1" inner radius in the bottom corners.

1" x 1/8" angle iron
1-1/2" sq tube
1/16" expanded mesh
6" gap for light bars pushed in 6" from angle iron edge.

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Found a 6" dual row led light bar that was uploaded on GrabCAD... threw that in there just to help give you an idea of what it would look like. Not exactly the single row you're thinking of, but it helps.

Obviously, the transparency of the mesh depends on what kind of mesh you intend to use as well. Just went with a 60% transparency to be able to easily see the difference in the materials.

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Found a 6" dual row led light bar that was uploaded on GrabCAD... threw that in there just to help give you an idea of what it would look like. Not exactly the single row you're thinking of, but it helps.

Obviously, the transparency of the mesh depends on what kind of mesh you intend to use as well. Just went with a 60% transparency to be able to easily see the difference in the materials.
I actually planned to have the lights be a piece of the main bar, inside of it actually, cut out the back and a section of the front to show the light obviously, I'll draw a more detailed picture later. Currently in school and I can't

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I actually planned to have the lights be a piece of the main bar, inside of it actually, cut out the back and a section of the front to show the light obviously, I'll draw a more detailed picture later. Currently in school and I can't

A flush mounted light would look pretty cool. May have to increase the square tubing up to 2" or so depending on how thick the mounting is on the lights.

The drawings were just my take on your original sketch.

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
A flush mounted light would look pretty cool. May have to increase the square tubing up to 2" or so depending on how thick the mounting is on the lights.

The drawings were just my take on your original sketch.
I'll be going with a single row led light I found an 8" bar by rough country not my favorite brand but its a light, how bad could they have done, aside from that I can't decide to cut the main into my bezels or not, I'll post pictures of a truck I found showing this

TheSquareGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
1985/1982
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Making progress, got the outer boarder done, still haven't decided if I'm going to cut into the bezels with my main middle tube, I definitely want the expanded to sit about midway back on that square tubing though

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm another one watching this!

To fit those lights you have pictured you are going to need 2" tube with a very light wall thickness, like .060". Those lights spec out at 1.8" tall. It can be done, and I think it could look really cool. I say if you like the look of a 2" center bar with your outer frame, for sure put the light inside of it.

Do you have access to a Bridgeport? That would be an amazing bonus to help you out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400