Custom Front Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW79496

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hate to bore most of you with another front leaf spring question. . .I’ve not seen a set of front springs like the ones I have. What brought this about, I was looking to buy front shocks and the stock length extended are roughly 18”. My current eyelet mounts are 17” apart . . . I’ve been scratching my head the past few days on why my front springs aren’t “settling” or lack of better term, laying down. The chassis is a 77 half ton and kept the springs on when I had it blasted and painted years ago. The truck was pulled out of a field when I got it, so no known history. I’d like to believe the springs are original half ton, but with the way they are sitting. . . . maybe they were modified (to add lift) at some point. I have big block and SM465 in the truck. Maybe the third leaf was flipped?

I have a second set of springs, 2nd pic, off a 75 ¾ ton. These would seemingly lay flatter than the springs on the truck. What’s interesting, they are both 3-leaf packs. Half ton springs on the truck are 3.25” wide. The ¾ ton springs on the shelf are 2 7/8” wide.

The truck is sitting about level right now with 1 ton set of springs in the rear. I'm not running a sway bar up front and so would like to have more rake.

You must be registered for see images attach

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Looks like someone before you absolutely slapped another spring into that pack very half-assedly to get more lift. I question if it would even be safe to drive. Which, I've driven way worse I might add! Lol Should be a negative arch in the factory front springs no matter if they are 2 or 3 leaf spring packs. The problem is the unevenness of the springs, even the one laying on the ground by itself doesn't look to be in the best shape. I'd suspect the other spring pack to be pretty similar. But what that generally says is that the springs are just plain worn out. For instance helped a friend install a 4" all spring lift on his '84 K20 last winter and the lift netted him a total of 6" in the front and 7" in the rear because those stock factory springs were just that plain worn out. It previously needed a 3" body lift just to clear 33" tires. And the front springs looked pretty similar in distortion to the one laying on the ground when we removed them. Now with just the spring change it clears 37" Boggers with room to spare. My opinion is the springs on the floor are better than the springs on the truck. But if budget allowed, I'd order a new set of front springs and be done with it.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like someone before you absolutely slapped another spring into that pack very half-assedly to get more lift. I question if it would even be safe to drive. Which, I've driven way worse I might add! Lol Should be a negative arch in the factory front springs no matter if they are 2 or 3 leaf spring packs. The problem is the unevenness of the springs, even the one laying on the ground by itself doesn't look to be in the best shape. I'd suspect the other spring pack to be pretty similar. But what that generally says is that the springs are just plain worn out. For instance helped a friend install a 4" all spring lift on his '84 K20 last winter and the lift netted him a total of 6" in the front and 7" in the rear because those stock factory springs were just that plain worn out. It previously needed a 3" body lift just to clear 33" tires. And the front springs looked pretty similar in distortion to the one laying on the ground when we removed them. Now with just the spring change it clears 37" Boggers with room to spare. My opinion is the springs on the floor are better than the springs on the truck. But if budget allowed, I'd order a new set of front springs and be done with it.
I'm with Quincy on this one. Welcome from the Buckeye State. I have stock K20 front springs with a 496.

JW79496

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you for your responses! It just didn't seem right from the way they looked. Haven't really put much thought into it until now as mentioned.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Definitely a home brew. Even that bump stop has me scratching my head... why isn’t there a rubber pad on it

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
When I bought my K30 it had a 1" rake at the rear with stock springs, although it doesn't look it here. 3 leaf front and 9 leaf rears.

JW79496

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had removed the rubber bump stops long ago when the truck was intended to be off-road only. I've since changed direction and making it road worthy.

Craig85, you now have me wanting to count the number of leaves on the rear. The parts truck I bought had said-to-be 1 ton springs. I may be swayed t go with the 2 leaf pack up front . . .or 1 inch block in rear.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's mine for reference. The broken leave is from the bottom of the pack just above the overload. Also I didn't count the top overload.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54