Cussin’ a Quadrajet!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I mentioned in my introduction post that my new-to-me ‘77 fired up with a few pumps after an untold number of months in the tree row. This morning, I went out to start it and NO GO! Grrrr!!! Tinkered and fiddled, all the while cussing that over complicated blankety-blankin’ “Quadrajunk”. Never been a fan of them, but honestly, never been around them a whole lot. I pulled the inlet out to check the filter, was all good. All moving parts seemed to move. Ready to give up and run to Cheyenne and grab an Edelbrock. Decided to pull the fuel line and crank it to check and make sure fuel was even getting that far. A fuel pump is cheaper than an Edelbrock, after all. No fuel! Hmmm…. Bad fuel pump, right? Figured I’d check one more thing, but why bother, honestly. My super mechanic diagnostic skills have lead me to this point, right? Grabbed a Jerry can from the garage and put in 4-5 gallons. Pumped it twice, hit the key, she fired and purred. D’Oh!!! A can of gas is cheaper yet! Lol. Drove down to the mini mart and put in another 11 gallons. Looks to me like I found “E”…

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Welcome from Texas

Even with gas at what it is, that's a cheap fix. Glad you found the problem. Lol

Alaska 79 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Last edited:

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Glad your issue was simply resolved. The Quadrajet really is a good carb. I have restored and run many. Cliff Ruggles has a great book on how to rebuild and modify them. Highly recommended read.
My brother is a fan of them, but he geeks out on that sort of stuff. I’ve tinkered with Edelbrocks/Webers and Motorcrafts (gasp!) a bit, but I’ve never liked monkeying around with carbs. Don’t know if it’s a lack of patience or intelligence or a bit of both. If I sit down and read a bit, it makes a bit of sense. I’ll look for that book.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If any carburetor has been sitting for a few years, you may wish to remove the top and inspect the fuel bowl, as old fuel can turn into this hard caramel-looking stuff. Grab a new float, filter and problems after that are minimal.

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If any carburetor has been sitting for a few years, you may wish to remove the top and inspect the fuel bowl, as old fuel can turn into this hard caramel-looking stuff. Grab a new float, filter and problems after that are minimal.
It’s on the punch list! I’ve been going through a lot of the posts here on the forum concerning the Q-Jets. It should be manageable for my limited intellect! Lol! I think I’ve talked myself out of pitching it. For now, at least. I’m going to leave well enough alone. 1). If it works, why fool with it? 2). This pickup is as original under hood as any I’ve ever seen. If it came with it in 1977, it’s still there. I’m hesitant to start changing a bunch of stuff out if I don’t need to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell