Current Market On A 1982 C10 Regular Cab Short Box W Dual Tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
My 2 cents is just pay what you think its worth don't look to steal it. under 3k isn't terrible. Yes they made a shitton of them, but try to find one.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yes they made a ****-ton of them, but try to find one.
Don't forget man, you live in lake effect salt land. Dude lives in the deep south, those things are aven more common than they are up here. And where I live is just as salty and rusty as you and don't BS me I know if I wanted a square I could have one tomorrow, any flavor. It just might be a little crunchier than you will find down there lol. But the market price goes based on where you live. I got my 100% rust free Suburban with a pretty good interior (minus dash and front seats) for $1,000 back in 2015 (not that long ago). All it needed was paint and a rear window to be a completely normal vehicle. I got it in eastern Colorado where **** doesn't rust, so out there it was just some ugly old truck the guy wanted out of his driveway/, around here people tell me I stole the thing fpr that price. I daily drove it for years until some ****** hit me head on, and even then I still have it and fixed it I just don't daily it so sitting around has made it get a bit rusty. Moral of the story is what seems like a super expensive rare truck up here isn't worth half as much down there where they're all over the place and rust free to boot...

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm thinking the same thing as doubledingo. Even here in the land of rust, I would offer $2k, MAYBE $2500 if the thing was really that rust free and ran great. The guy left it parked in the weeds with a smashed in door, if it is such a great truck why isn't he driving it around himself? Interior is decent enough, but it obviously needs a good deep cleaning and the exterior needs a little body work and paint all around. Plus, after sitting so long I would think everything needs to be gone through (brakes, fluids, tune up, de-mousing, etc). If I were the guy selling it I'd at least take a shop-vac to the interior, park it on gravel and hit it with the hose... leaving it in the grass just says "I don't really care about this junk".

These trucks are older and becoming more desirable especially shortbeds, but let's all stop pretending like these things aren't still everywhere you look. Hell, in my town of under 5k people up in rusty new england I can think of almost 20 of them off the top of my head, some rusty piles in yards and some are shiny jacked up beauties. Just because they're getting older does not make them "rare", especially not a truck with square lights, it's not even 4x4. I'm not saying the guy is ripping you off, a decent truck is worth what it's worth, but don't overpay for a 40 year old truck that's been left sitting in the weeds with rust and dents, don't be afraid to offer what it's worth and haggle from there. If you offer $500 the guy will tell you to go kick rocks, but even if he was asking $3k, 2 is not an offensive offer, especially since you already said he's asking under $3k. Obviously he can counter somewhere closer to 3 and you can work him down to 25 or 22, maybe less depending on what it needs. He might be reasonable, who knows?

Whenever I buy a used vehicle, especially an older one, as long as the thing is not too far gone I say be prepared to pay full price and try to get it as low as you can from there. If what he's asking doesn't immediately turn you off, then show up with a trailer and cash (maybe a hundred or two less than he's asking so worst case scenario you can say "look man this is all I have, take it or leave it"). I never talk price before I get there, put him on the spot. If he wants to sell it and you're standing there in front of him with a trailer and a *** of cash, he'd have to be real stubborn to tell you to leave over a few hundred. If you see selling a car for $4k and your initial reaction is "hell no way would I pay that much, 2k max" then don't waste your time he probably won't come down enough to make it worth your while. But if he's asking $27-2800 ish and you think you can live with it, then hey worst case you still only paid a little more than you wanted. Stick with your gut, and hey you might as well try to save yourself a few bucks while you're there, can't hurt anything to ask for a better deal especially if it needs work and isn't already a steal...

Either way, looks like a decent truck to start with, hell I would probably even drive it just like that for the time being and not worry about it. I hope you get it. Welcome aboard!
Mods- please fix this crap. I said a *** of cash and the filter censored me. "W ad" of cash for anyone looking on. I honestly can't see how that's offensive.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@RecklessWOT , don’t blow your w a d! Lol.
What you said above is how I shop, to a Tee. And when selling, people who call or text asking “will you take this much?” as their opening question either get told to FO or told to come look at it and then talk. (Exception being long distance purchases which are ever more common, in which case I’ll also do some dickering over the phone if I’m not prepared to pay asking price)
Also 100% agree, anyone trying to get more than $20 for a broke down lawn mower or a rusted yard-art vehicle who can’t even bring themselves to move/wash/clean/anything to make it presentable, deserves to be low balled.
I guarantee, when I went to look at the 86 GMC 5 hours away towing a trailer, obviously I was serious about it and obviously I can look past clean vs dirty, but the fact that even an old truck was clean, detailed, nothing bad hiding under mud or oil and grease, made the purchase and the sale go much quicker and likely the guy made back the cost of making it clean.
But all his vehicles and toys were clean and in good order.
As it was, I offered him $500 less, he refused, (I would have too if I was selling it) and in the end gave me $300 back AFTER I loaded it up. Mainly because he claimed he didn’t know the windshield frame was rusted out (and I found it under the gasket and stuck my knife through the rusted out sheet metal). Honest guy, said he thought it had NO rust.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good luck to the OP in gettin him a squarebody.
No, they are nowhere near rare yet save for a few specific models, but they were going up and Covid pricing has jacked everything up.
But, unless one is super picky about a specific year model, squares are unlike most other classic vehicles that only had that “popular” style for a few years or maybe only 1 year.
Hell, if you like 70s round eyes and find a deal on a 80s truck, you’re only 1 front flip away from it looking like the truck you want and 95% of the people will never know the difference. But you’ll never fool anyone that a 54 or 58 Chevy is a 57 Chevy! And most even know what a 55-56 looks like!

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Don't forget man, you live in lake effect salt land. Dude lives in the deep south, those things are aven more common than they are up here. And where I live is just as salty and rusty as you and don't BS me I know if I wanted a square I could have one tomorrow, any flavor. It just might be a little crunchier than you will find down there lol. But the market price goes based on where you live. I got my 100% rust free Suburban with a pretty good interior (minus dash and front seats) for $1,000 back in 2015 (not that long ago). All it needed was paint and a rear window to be a completely normal vehicle. I got it in eastern Colorado where **** doesn't rust, so out there it was just some ugly old truck the guy wanted out of his driveway/, around here people tell me I stole the thing fpr that price. I daily drove it for years until some ****** hit me head on, and even then I still have it and fixed it I just don't daily it so sitting around has made it get a bit rusty. Moral of the story is what seems like a super expensive rare truck up here isn't worth half as much down there where they're all over the place and rust free to boot...
Well, Said Again Reckless WOT - With a 70 Chevelle, 1998 ECSB GMT400, and a 2019 Sierra the wife may kill me if I attempt to "Keep" another truck but I love all of your comments and the truth of the matter.

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Mods- please fix this crap. I said a *** of cash and the filter censored me. "W ad" of cash for anyone looking on. I honestly can't see how that's offensive.
LOL! Everyone seems to take offense to the truth nowadays but I won't travel down that rabbit hole ;)

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
@RecklessWOT , don’t blow your w a d! Lol.
What you said above is how I shop, to a Tee. And when selling, people who call or text asking “will you take this much?” as their opening question either get told to FO or told to come look at it and then talk. (Exception being long distance purchases which are ever more common, in which case I’ll also do some dickering over the phone if I’m not prepared to pay asking price)
Also 100% agree, anyone trying to get more than $20 for a broke down lawn mower or a rusted yard-art vehicle who can’t even bring themselves to move/wash/clean/anything to make it presentable, deserves to be low balled.
I guarantee, when I went to look at the 86 GMC 5 hours away towing a trailer, obviously I was serious about it and obviously I can look past clean vs dirty, but the fact that even an old truck was clean, detailed, nothing bad hiding under mud or oil and grease, made the purchase and the sale go much quicker and likely the guy made back the cost of making it clean.
But all his vehicles and toys were clean and in good order.
As it was, I offered him $500 less, he refused, (I would have too if I was selling it) and in the end gave me $300 back AFTER I loaded it up. Mainly because he claimed he didn’t know the windshield frame was rusted out (and I found it under the gasket and stuck my knife through the rusted out sheet metal). Honest guy, said he thought it had NO rust.
Thanks, Grit dog! Totally agree with you dude!

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
LOL! Everyone seems to take offense to the truth nowadays but I won't travel down that rabbit hole ;)
well you just joined, this is still new to us. The whole asterisk thing just started a month or two ago here. Before that you could type any cuss word you wanted (or slur or any "horrible" thing you could think of) like a regular dude talking to someone else, you could even rip someone a new one if it was necessary. I only ever got my posts removed one time when I really took it on a personal level with someone, and I understand it was getting pretty heated, not good for the community aspect. But NOW all of a sudden with the addition of a few new sponsors that probably don't deserve our money they will censor out anything just to please the sponsor's wishes, heck, you can't say the word "b ung" as in "o2 sensor **** in your exhaust", but somehow the word "bunghole" was allowed... okay. Now apparently it doesn't like the word "w ad" as in " I showed up with a *** of cash in my pocket to buy the truck" for whatever the hell reason. The filter needs work and the mods are working on fixing it slowly, thankfully so we can have a normal conversation about the new hooker headers that someone bought to replace their stock manifolds without it looking like a starry night in here...

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
well you just joined, this is still new to us. The whole asterisk thing just started a month or two ago here. Before that you could type any cuss word you wanted (or slur or any "horrible" thing you could think of) like a regular dude talking to someone else, you could even rip someone a new one if it was necessary. I only ever got my posts removed one time when I really took it on a personal level with someone, and I understand it was getting pretty heated, not good for the community aspect. But NOW all of a sudden with the addition of a few new sponsors that probably don't deserve our money they will censor out anything just to please the sponsor's wishes, heck, you can't say the word "b ung" as in "o2 sensor **** in your exhaust", but somehow the word "bunghole" was allowed... okay. Now apparently it doesn't like the word "w ad" as in " I showed up with a *** of cash in my pocket to buy the truck" for whatever the hell reason. The filter needs work and the mods are working on fixing it slowly, thankfully so we can have a normal conversation about the new hooker headers that someone bought to replace their stock manifolds without it looking like a starry night in here...
Dude! I literally laughed out loud and almost spit out my coffee. That is hilarious! Love your honesty! And for a close.....I know you have seen it already....."Are we still calling it tranny fluid or is it gender-neutral shift juice?" - See if this gets blocked - LOL - :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL