Cruise control wiring connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
1982 suburban, I just installed a new turn signal switch and tightened up the tilt bolts but the small cruise wire doesn't seem to have a buddy to connect to. Does anyone know where this goes?

Attachments

• 20211224_163730.jpg
    20211224_163730.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,088

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
1982 suburban, I just installed a new turn signal switch and tightened up the tilt bolts but the small cruise wire doesn't seem to have a buddy to connect to. Does anyone know where this goes?

White plastic plug at the bottom of the column, IIRC.

Should be easy to ID since it only has 2 wires.

Where did you find a non resume style switch?

I would not mind having a spare.

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
White plastic plug at the bottom of the column, IIRC.

Should be easy to ID since it only has 2 wires.

Where did you find a non resume style switch?

I would not mind having a spare.
It came with it, I just assumed it was factory but too many have messed with it to know for sure. So it's a white 2 wire plug? Do you happen to know the wire colors? Thanks!

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
I found it I found it lol. It was at the end of the thin stamped steel bracket that bolts to the bottom of the steering column. I thought I was going crazy

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I found it I found it lol. It was at the end of the thin stamped steel bracket that bolts to the bottom of the steering column. I thought I was going crazy

I have been looking since last night for a pic of that thing on the web - nada.

What color was the female plug ?

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
I have been looking since last night for a pic of that thing on the web - nada.

What color was the female plug ?
You were right it was white and at the bottom of the column i just didnt look far back enough. I didnt pay attention to the 2 wire colors because I was so excited I found it hahaha. If you look at the connector it doesnt even look correct as the flat male connector goes sideways into it and locks in. The bonus is I just drove the sub and the cruise works!! Of course all that work wasnt without its problems, now the horn doesnt work, OMG. I love how tight the steering is now and the new signal harness is nice and tight I just wish it wasnt such a bear to do. After all said and done it took me almost 7 hours and I took the column apart no less than 8 times trying to figure out the proper bearing sequence. Its seared into my memory now so if anyone needs help here I am

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Did the horn work before?

If it did, then you know it had to be in the work you just did.

If that is accurate, I would make sure that turn signal harness is all the way plugged in at the connection to the vehicle harness.

If that is good, take the steering wheel center cap - the horn button- off and make sure you have the little flat spring deal with the curve facing up, and that the little metal pin, black piece that holds it, and spring are in the turn signal cam.

If all that is good then you probably have a wiring issue beyond the column, a bad horn, or a bad fuse.

Really stretching the memory, but it seems like with a multi meter if you disconnect the turn signal switch from the column harness the black wire is the horn wire. The red meter lead goes in that pin and the black to one of the column mounting bolts.

Hit the horn pad and if the column stuff is working the meter will move.

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
Did the horn work before?

If it did, then you know it had to be in the work you just did.

If that is accurate, I would make sure that turn signal harness is all the way plugged in at the connection to the vehicle harness.

If that is good, take the steering wheel center cap - the horn button- off and make sure you have the little flat spring deal with the curve facing up, and that the little metal pin, black piece that holds it, and spring are in the turn signal cam.

If all that is good then you probably have a wiring issue beyond the column, a bad horn, or a bad fuse.

Really stretching the memory, but it seems like with a multi meter if you disconnect the turn signal switch from the column harness the black wire is the horn wire. The red meter lead goes in that pin and the black to one of the column mounting bolts.

Hit the horn pad and if the column stuff is working the meter will move.
THanks I will try that, it did work before and everything is there and hooked up. ill check the black wire in the new turn signal connection it came with hopefully it is just pushed out a little bit thanks! I drove the sub tonight to my brothers for awhile and the steering wheel is so tight now its completely different to drive. Im glad I found this thing, itll just take a bit to get her up to snuff, tonight my brother noticed the tail lights brighten up when I rev it up, it is my understanding these have the cs alternator. Im going to have to check into this, these were supposed to have good idle amps, maybe its just a ground. More checking tomorrow

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave