Cruise Control wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Any thoughts about getting the cruise control wire back through the steering column? I have a tilt wheel, and it doesn't look like it will be able to pull the new wire back through.

You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Not sure where the factory cruise wire was routed but I'd bet if you pull the wheel, lockplate, take the screws out of the turn signal assembly and scoot it to the side some you could fish the new wire along the top of the column with the turn signal wires.

Straighten a wire coat hanger (gas welding rod, bailing wire Etc) and fish it through then use it to pull the new wire in. Either de-pin the connector or pull from which ever end of the wire is the smallest to avoid getting hung up.

ETA: The Ignition rack & pinion, and pushrod that go to the ignition switch run along the left side of the column so I'd avoid that path. Could interfere with the ignition or chew a hole in your new wire.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Not sure where the factory cruise wire was routed but I'd bet if you pull the wheel, lockplate, take the screws out of the turn signal assembly and scoot it to the side some you could fish the new wire along the top of the column with the turn signal wires.

Straighten a wire coat hanger (gas welding rod, bailing wire Etc) and fish it through then use it to pull the new wire in. Either de-pin the connector or pull from which ever end of the wire is the smallest to avoid getting hung up.

ETA: The Ignition rack & pinion, and pushrod that go to the ignition switch run along the left side of the column so I'd avoid that path. Could interfere with the ignition or chew a hole in your new wire.
The old wire is still there, was broke at the switch. Looks to run down the bottom of the steering column. I don't believe the end connector will pass through. Was thinking of cutting the end connector off, that connects under the dash, connect it to the old wire and then pull it through, then reconnect the connector.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The old wire is still there, was broke at the switch. Looks to run down the bottom of the steering column. I don't believe the end connector will pass through. Was thinking of cutting the end connector off, that connects under the dash, connect it to the old wire and then pull it through, then reconnect the connector.
Get a few pictures of the connector please.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Get a few pictures of the connector please.
I will, be tomorrow. The first pick shows the side. I have it wrapped around the multi function lever for now.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
This is the end connector for the cruise control. After looking at it a little closer, I might be able to heat up the plastic cover and slide it back and just desolder and attach the wires to the old one and pull it through.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
It WILL go through. Tie a string to the old cable, then to the new one. Pull (patiently) from the bottom of the column.
It's going to take a little back and forth but it's easier than disassembly of the column.
I've done this 3 or 4 times and I've found it works well.

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
it will fit, may need to take steering wheel and lock plate off but easy as the tools are cheap

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Don’t try to remove the connector!!

Put the tilt steering column in the straight position. Get some thin solid wire, tie the wire thru that little hole in the connector. Pull the old switch wire up thru the column, tie the new switch cable to the picture wire. Pull it back down the column. Work slowly, don’t force it.

Once you have done this a few times it’s easy. It took me longer to type the instructions than to replace the switch.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
new switches fail so often I don't bother to fish it down the column anymore. I just put it behind the lower column trim and run it along the outside of the column and use a black zip tie. makes replacement easier later...

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
new switches fail so often I don't bother to fish it down the column anymore. I just put it behind the lower column trim and run it along the outside of the column and use a black zip tie. makes replacement easier later...
Thought about that.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Don’t try to remove the connector!!

Put the tilt steering column in the straight position. Get some thin solid wire, tie the wire thru that little hole in the connector. Pull the old switch wire up thru the column, tie the new switch cable to the picture wire. Pull it back down the column. Work slowly, don’t force it.

Once you have done this a few times it’s easy. It took me longer to type the instructions than to replace the switch.
I haven't removed the old wire yet. I wonder if that's why there's a small hole there.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I haven't removed the old wire yet. I wonder if that's why there's a small hole there.

That’s exactly why the hole is there. This is one of the few times the engineers designed something with serviceability in mind.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
That’s exactly why the hole is there. This is one of the few times the engineers designed something with serviceability in mind.
if memory serves, there is a plastic sleeve that the wire goes through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL