Cruise control removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm thinking about removing the cruise control stuff from my truck. Its never worked and I personally never use cruise so I would like to clean things up some. I am wondering how involved this is to do?

From what I've found by tracing things I have the baffle thing behind the driver's side valve cover which has to Vac. lines going to it, small one goes to a white 3 way check valve which leads to my 700r4 lockup module and I believe it connects to another Tee which leads to my driver's side carb (full time Vacuum) and a Vacuum accumulator on the passenger's side near the HVAC controls. While the larger Vac line is Tee'd between my PCV and carb.

Can I pull this baffle, the three way check valve, and the passenger side vac accumulator? If my thinking is correct I would then be able to run my PCV directly to the carb and the 700r4 lockup module piece directly to the carb which would simplify my vac lines drastically as well as clean things up quite a bit.

As for the wires to the baffle do those just unplug from the bulkhead? I haven't traced them yet.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You need the vacuum tank for the climate control, and the vacuum T. The tank holds vacuum for the climate control doors, without it the climate will switch to defrost whenever your on the throttle hard.

The vacuum supply line yo the cruise servo can be removed. One goes the the vacuum T, the other goes to the brake switch. It’s purpose it to dump vacuum when you hit the brakes.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would simply unhook the vacuum line and remove it from said t or connector and put a plug in it's place.

The wires run all the way inside and up the column you'll have to cut those off or you'll have to really loosen up the column brackets and the one that wraps the column with 4 bolts and wiggle and fighte to remove the wiriing with it all in place.

I did my 79 camaro to sell it all and it was a pain to remove, think I had the wheel off too.

I did my 86 gmc a few weeks ago. I just cut my wires and taped those up as mine jumped over into the brake light switch, and then up into the column. I did not want to tear the whole truck apart to trace everything and make sure unplugging one thing wouldn't tie into something else.

Mine had nothing more then the pod behind the valve cover, no vac. to it but electrical was there and I unplugged from that and then traced it inside.

You can unplug it shortly after that pod and maybe leave it laying somewhere underhood tucked away or run it back in the firewall and tuck it under the dash. I just cut mine off at the column.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Great thank you all! this is the exact info I was looking for. Would really like not to break anything so I'll go with capping the T connectors in place and unplugging the wiring harness, as far back as I can get it. For the brake switch portion can I just unplug this from the cruise servo and not worry about any air leaking? or should I trace and plug this line as well?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
mine vacuum lines goes into the cab and to th ebrake light switch I forgot about it. I simply cut mine off inside the cab, and I don't think it has any vacuum leaks, I don't hear any or have any issues but again haven't driven it. Just out of my garage.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would unhook it from the pod of the cruise, fire it up and put your thumb over it, see if anything makes any difference, then depress th epedal with it running and do the same check to see if any vacuum is present.

and now I need to go do that very thing LOL

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would unhook it from the pod of the cruise, fire it up and put your thumb over it, see if anything makes any difference, then depress th epedal with it running and do the same check to see if any vacuum is present.

and now I need to go do that very thing LOL

Thanks, that is a great idea, I'll make sure to do that this weekend when I have some vac. caps and new vac. lines to put in. Also hoping to get my temp sender wire un-pinched from between the block and bellhousing and working again plus a new carb on this weekend and have this thing running right again. All the things on the to do list.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
What year is your truck

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
How much you want for the system you're pulling out?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think its in the 3 year range. I really haven't thought of it. I have no idea if the thing works or really even how much of it I'm going to pull out without cutting just yet. Defiantly the servo, but I don't feel like trying to pull the stalk or anything under the dash if it involves pulling apart existing and working systems. Once I get it out if someone wants the thing let me know and you can have it for whatever to cover shipping.

While reading through the old posts on here I ran across something about putting in a 88+ (or some newer year) pretty cleanly and cheaply but didn't look anymore into it as I hate cruise control.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Do you have the transducer thing on the drivers inner fender?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Pretty messed up i go to google for a picture of the transducer and my engine bay picture shows up second with gmsquarebody.com under it.... huh!! But this is what im lookin for

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manther