Crud in PCV breather cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Today I learned that GMSB is the hottest place on the Internet to discuss PCV valves and vacuum leaks...but I am still puzzled here.

My breather cap on the pass side valve cover had a bunch of pasty, oily sludge up inside it. You can see it oozing out in this pic:

full

So is this trapped oil and grit from the valves and crankcase? Odd, since air should be flowing the other way. Or is this the oily remains of a sponge/filter element?

Either way, I will clean it out, and get a new breather and PCV valve tomorrow. But if oil has been blowing out through the breather, I have some other problems.

Thanks,
BR

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
So is this trapped oil and grit from the valves and crankcase? Odd, since air should be flowing the other way. Or is this the oily remains of a sponge/filter element?

Either way, I will clean it out, and get a new breather and PCV valve tomorrow. But if oil has been blowing out through the breather, I have some other problems.

Thanks,
BR
You could be right with your last statement. The PCV system is no match for an engine with blow-by. Might be time for compression and cylinder leak down tests.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
There should be baffles in the valve cover under the breather element and the pcv valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg