crankcase ventilation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruffneckred

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
So after much neglect I am tinkering with my 78 K10. In the process of searching for probably non existant vacuum leaks I found the PCV grommet to be junk. Thought I found one at O'Really's but it is too big, I believe the errant purchase was 3/4" ID, 1.22" OD. ID seems right but OD was way to big. Measuring the hole looks to be a shade under 1". Found a grommet from god knows where on my shop bench, looks to have close to correct measurement but I struggled to get it into valve cover, then could not get PCV valve into it. Heading back to O'Really's for that issue, hopefully not having to resort to the internet roulette wheel.

But my real question is on the other valve cover, there is a factory tube (I believe these are the factory valve covers) the goes to air cleaner body which has a filter inside. I intend to replace this set up with some sort of push in filter / breather. i assumed I could just pull that pipe out, measure the hole and go find a suitable replacement. Well, crap, it doesn't pull out. Seems like it is secured inside the cover. Can anyone shed some light on what is going on inside that cover or do I need to quit pulling on it like a girl or grab a hammer, jack or torch? Thanks for any insight to these issues.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Without seeing it, best guess would be a aftermarket valve cover filter with a flange on the end of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

On my 78 350 I just have the PVC to the air cleaner.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Without seeing it, best guess would be a aftermarket valve cover filter with a flange on the end of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

On my 78 350 I just have the PVC to the air cleaner.
My truck has one of those on the passenger side valve cover along with the pcv to the carb.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Any auto store should carry that in the help! Section. Usually if they dont have it they can get it.
I had ordered it last time because i was $2 away from free shipping and easily could pull it up.

ruffneckred

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
thanks, I am debating changing it to the push in style. I had no luck at auto parts store, I now own a non fitting grommet for my collection. I think I will mod the one gasket with dremel tool and make it work as I want the vehicle to be road worthy shortly. I am also debating getting a dress us kit with air cleaner, valve covers gasket, and breather instead of spending more by buying one thing at a time (cost is a factor as usual). One hitch is height of valve cover, tall ones don't work with A/C compressor. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8