Cracked column: rebuild or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Looking for some guidance, and not sure where to put this. Here because it's steering or in electrical because of ignition choices.

Some dirtbags recently tried to steal our '74 C20. Cracked the steering column and broke the rack gear. Fortunately it was freezing that night so it wouldn't start (or maybe run). Now I'm trying to dig out of this hole before moving back to the other issues. Thanks to Raider's post about his whacked column rebuild it seems that I could probably source the parts I need to rebuild it...but then I'd be left right back where I was. A truck that's easy to steal. I'm working on this with my son and he took the first attempt pretty hard. So, I'm looking for advice.

Rebuild it like it was? $100-$200?
Or put in a new column w/o ignition and try to go with an "in dash" ignition? $350-$400?

Neither of these will be easy for us. We're new to the game. Option 2 becomes that much more difficult because of the electrical. But does it make the truck even a little more secure? She's just a rusty old heap. Maybe not worth the money I've already put in and however much more there is to spend. But the time spent with the boy I can't really replace.

Appreciate any help you can offer. Warnings about a particular choice. Heads-up about things I don't even know to consider.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Looking for some guidance, and not sure where to put this. Here because it's steering or in electrical because of ignition choices.

Some dirtbags recently tried to steal our '74 C20. Cracked the steering column and broke the rack gear. Fortunately it was freezing that night so it wouldn't start (or maybe run). Now I'm trying to dig out of this hole before moving back to the other issues. Thanks to Raider's post about his whacked column rebuild it seems that I could probably source the parts I need to rebuild it...but then I'd be left right back where I was. A truck that's easy to steal. I'm working on this with my son and he took the first attempt pretty hard. So, I'm looking for advice.

Rebuild it like it was? $100-$200?
Or put in a new column w/o ignition and try to go with an "in dash" ignition? $350-$400?

Neither of these will be easy for us. We're new to the game. Option 2 becomes that much more difficult because of the electrical. But does it make the truck even a little more secure? She's just a rusty old heap. Maybe not worth the money I've already put in and however much more there is to spend. But the time spent with the boy I can't really replace.

Appreciate any help you can offer. Warnings about a particular choice. Heads-up about things I don't even know to consider.

How about a 3rd option : used column from the junkyard, assuming that you can find one.

2 bolts on the strap under the hood below the booster, the coupling bolt, 2 under the dash, and the electrical all unplugs. You could even swap your lock cylinder out if you wanted to keep the same key(s).

I do not know if you have tilt or not, but if you don't you could swap to a tilt w/o any wiring changes needed.

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Thanks @Goldie Driver I had considered that one, but not sure I can make it work. Went to a local yard to get replacement glass for the driver door. None of the trucks in that company's (two) yards have columns. And going that way still puts me back where I already was - truck that's easy-ish to steal? Outside of the cracked part of the column I think ours is in decent shape. We do have tilt now. It's something I'd like to keep. The replacement w/o ignition has tilt I believe. Does that idea, swapping in a new column and going to in-dash ignition create way too many problems I'm unaware of?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Example - I do not know what you have.

78-83 Chevy GMC Truck Non Tilt Steering Column for Standard Floor Shift C K 10 | eBay
Thanks @Goldie Driver I had considered that one, but not sure I can make it work. Went to a local yard to get replacement glass for the driver door. None of the trucks in that company's (two) yards have columns. And going that way still puts me back where I already was - truck that's easy-ish to steal? Outside of the cracked part of the column I think ours is in decent shape. We do have tilt now. It's something I'd like to keep. The replacement w/o ignition has tilt I believe. Does that idea, swapping in a new column and going to in-dash ignition create way too many problems I'm unaware of?

If you are talking about a key in the dash then wiring issues, and these trucks are relatively easy to steal, so even the in dash as I am visualizing it would not solve the problem.

One other thought - fix yours to the way it was/replace the column to the way it was and buy something like this :

Amazon.com: Vital All-Terrain Steering Column Lock Guard for Chevrolet GMC 1/2 Ton 84-88, 3/4 Ton 84-91, 1 Ton 84-91 Pick Up Truck: Automotive

That '91 I had got stolen out of my buddies driveway when he was borrowing it - he bought something similar to above and it never got jacked w/ again.

Anything that makes it look like it is work they will typically bypass and go to something easier.

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
@Goldie Driver I appreciate the options. Not encouraging news that switching to in-dash ignition won't help much, but not really all that surprising either. Not sure I can go the route of the big collar, but I'll keep it in mind.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver I appreciate the options. Not encouraging news that switching to in-dash ignition won't help much, but not really all that surprising either. Not sure I can go the route of the big collar, but I'll keep it in mind.

I am thinking like a '72 Chevy truck - maybe you are thinking something different.

You must be registered for see images attach

If the above is correct, you would still need a key to disable the steering lock & transmission lock on the column, or bypass them permanently.

Do the latter and now ALL anti theft devices are gone.

For the former, I guess having 2 ignition keys isn't the end of the world, but it would drive me crazy.

Or, maybe you are thinking push button.

They also made ( probably still do ) removable steering wheels.

I still think the highly visible deterrent is your best route, but - that's me.

Best of luck !

Britt

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Circling back to used. If nothing is available in a local yard call LKQ of Kansas City (913) 982-4448 LKQ is a nation wide network of wrecking yards, it's likely they will be able to order the column of your choice, tilt, no tilt, color ect. You can pick up from LKQ or they'll ship to your home. I do not consider rebuilding GM columns at all fun.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@KC John,

Well, remember those hook things a lot of people used many years ago that hooked onto the steering wheel and went down to the brake pedal? They have a name that slips me right now. If you like your column just build it back the way it was and put one of those hook/bar things on them. Goldie Driver is right, anything that makes it look like it ain't gonna be easy will have them going away. I wouldn't want anyone else's truck or car to get broke into, but it wouldn't be yours again.

By the way did you call the cops? I would be interested in what it looked like to them as the reason why they were trying to steal your truck. If it looks like you say, I can't imagine why someone would want a clunker, no offense? The cop I called said it looked like some kids wanted to steal mine for a "joy ride". I would agree. If it had been some guys looking to steal mine for it being a high performance truck I think they would have known how to start it and wouldn't have beaten the column so badly apart as they did. I mean they beat the hell out of mine. Big pieces of the column housings were on the floor, the smashed rack and other bits and pieces.

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
@Goldie Driver Yes sir, that '72 thing is exactly what I had in mind. I continue to show how little I know. I've only begun learning about how people steal these and I guess I assumed that if I didn't have the ignition in the column they couldn't crack mine like they did and have access to that rod. But I thought I also understood that they could just ram a screwdriver into the ignition tumbler and have access to the same mechanical starter stuff that uses the rod. So getting the ignition off the column might be a good start. So much to learn. Thanks for all your guidance. I do appreciate it.

@SirRobyn0 I will definitely look into that. I didn't know LKQ was a thing. Thanks!

@Raider L Yes sir, the cops came by. The truck sat out back for about 4 years and was never messed with. Maybe people had just been checking it out for awhile. Not a lot to offer for me specifically about why they'd want our hunk. Just said that the area is getting worse. I guess we see a lot of traffic kind of right past the business because we're close to a recycling yard. Actually, the bad guys took the battery from our truck and the police recovered it the next day. It was in the engine compartment of a different truck the same dirtbags tried to steal from another establishment. Just some crooks who aren't so good at their jobs I reckon. We definitely got off easy compared to you. I don't know how to insert a pic of the column, but it's just enough of a break for them to be able to snap the rack and pull the rod.

45acp

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I was also worried about someone stealing my truck,this is what I did a few years ago. I spliced into the power wire at the distributor,ran one side to a toggle switch hidden under the dash,ran the wire out of switch to the power wire i had cut ( soldered the connections). When I flip the switch it stops power to the distributor,the truck will crank but it won't start. This won't stop someone from buggering up the column but at least they won't get the truck. Used and LKQ are both very good options. Good Luck!

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350

I was also worried about someone stealing my truck,this is what I did a few years ago. I spliced into the power wire at the distributor,ran one side to a toggle switch hidden under the dash,ran the wire out of switch to the power wire i had cut ( soldered the connections). When I flip the switch it stops power to the distributor,the truck will crank but it won't start. This won't stop someone from buggering up the column but at least they won't get the truck. Used and LKQ are both very good options. Good Luck!

Thanks 45. This is a kill switch approach? I've been trying to brush up on that. Anything to keep the truck is what I want, so it's on the table. I just don't want to have to hassle with someone doing this again because it looks like it will be easy just based on the "stock" appearance of the column. Can't keep paying for side glass and column repairs. Goldie pointed me towards a column lock and I may just have to consider that. I was hoping that going to a column w/o ignition and moving the tumbler to the dash would help. I think it's above my pay grade?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@KC John, This is what I ended up with and what I had to do just to be able to drive the truck. I had to get to my doctors appoint's and such.
I had to attach the turn signal switch to the side of the bearing support. I screwed and bolted stripes of alum. to hold the column together. And thank God, like KC john, they still couldn't figure out how to get it started.
I had to take off what was left of the front housing and then put the steering wheel back on.
There was just a big piece if the shifter housing left so I took off what was left of it. Then I saw a thick piece of something (I didn't know what the inside of the housing looked like then), so I drilled a hole in it and tapped the hole for 3/8", and put a bolt in it and that's how I shifted gears! Ha, ha, ha.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@KC John,

If all you have is a crack to deal with, fixing it ought to be a snap compared to having to drive around like this for about three years. I was finally able to save up the money in addition to the gov's stimulus money and will be getting the transmission overhauled and my front end rebuilt as soon as I can get hold of some kind of seal for my intermediate shaft. Then I can put my rebuilt column back in so the shops can steer the truck around.

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
@KC John,

If all you have is a crack to deal with, fixing it ought to be a snap compared to having to drive around like this for about three years. I was finally able to save up the money in addition to the gov's stimulus money and will be getting the transmission overhauled and my front end rebuilt as soon as I can get hold of some kind of seal for my intermediate shaft. Then I can put my rebuilt column back in so the shops can steer the truck around.

Yes, sir, you had an absolute mess on your hands. I went through your thread and marveled at a) the level of damage done and b) the work you’ve done and are doing to get it back to good. I was able to find the part I need from steeringcolumnservices thanks to you. Now I just have to get past my decision making disorder or get bold enough to try something big, different and silly. In fact, finding your thread and all the helpful responses is what made me join up here.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@KC John,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks and appreciation. I try to show what I'm doing even if it's simplistic to some but may be helpful to some as well because I never know what level of experience or knowledge a person may have. And there are some very knowledgable and experienced people on this forum who are eager to share their knowledge. Many are amazing in what they know.

I hope you can get your truck back running. I do like the idea about a hidden switch to keep people from stealing your truck from 45acp had. I hate a thief. I've had two vehicles broken into, one my daughter borrowed and parked it right in front of where she was living and right under a street light. You'd think the street light would have been a deterent, but my attitude is the light gave them the light they needed to see the fancy radio/cd player they wanted. They broke a back window to get in and busted the dash basel to get it out.

When I built my customized truck I decided not to get the Rod Lite chrome rims I wanted because I thought it would draw to much attention to the truck and someone might try to steal it. So I opted for plain black Basset racing rims that looked like cheap rims. Nobody bothered it for a long time. And like you it was because some criminal types moved into the neighborhood and started doing stuff like car break-ins started.

Well, good luck. An I'll be posting the install of my column as soon as I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes