Covid 42

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well, even though my son is fully vaccinated and boosted, parks 6 feet away from others, uses a fresh air filter with the lid right side up to prevent particles from getting in. Still ended up with a mild case of code 42. We followed the CDC (Chevy Diagnostic Center) recomendations and treated the symptoms with a fresh Ignition module and the symptoms immediately subsided. He rested the battery for a bit and then retested, getting a negative code 42 test so he is cleared to go back to work. If he wasn't fully vaccinated it could have been so much worse like the people who are paid to read words on TV screens have said it might maybe sorta kinda allegedly could be. They say it could have been so bad that he would have had to replace his TBI with a carb to restore proper breathing due to long code 42 exposure. I'm so happy the political science on TV is so helpful.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
That's my personal favorite

"Just ditch it for a (whatever fuel system or engine you've limited yourself to understand)"

I recently had an engine bay fire in my 89 (tbi) suburban. Cooked the harness, vacuum lines, everything in the center distributor/throttle body area.

A couple people had the audacity to say to me "nows your time to LS swap it"
Or "just put a carb back on"

Nope. It's running and driving again with a tbi, tbi ecm, and tbi harness.

The tbi went right back on my sbc :)
no service engine lights, no nothing.

I do like custom stuff, I have custom stuff, and I've done swaps myself.
But I'm not pulling apart a truck because I don't understand it.

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
yep, I love the 350 TBI in my burb...

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
All puns aside, we were just happy we didn't have to replace all the electronics twice to fix the problem. I have read some of the TBI nightmares on here where the problem is quite elusive and frustrating to locate. We also found while tracing down the problem that some of the sensors (Nox) were removed and the pig tail trimmed off the harness. Looks like I'm going to be pulling out the harness and restoring it to factory correct soon.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
the O2 sensor is on the driverside exhaust manifold. the rest are all under the hood. it is a pretty simple system, and all the GM manuals are available in the Reference Library on this site. the drivability and emissions manual deals with the TBI almost exclusively. the hardest issues to track down are random electric wiring or connection issues that usually have nothing to do with the sensors...

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
All puns aside, we were just happy we didn't have to replace all the electronics twice to fix the problem. I have read some of the TBI nightmares on here where the problem is quite elusive and frustrating to locate. We also found while tracing down the problem that some of the sensors (Nox) were removed and the pig tail trimmed off the harness. Looks like I'm going to be pulling out the harness and restoring it to factory correct soon.

I had code 42 one time, I'm not sure where I ended up solving it at, but it was a loosened up knock sensor, new coil, new distributor, and it went away lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406