corvette side pipes on 87 step side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katie87

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Hello everyone, new to the forum, and decided I'd piss some people off. I've got an 87 step side and my uncle jut gave me some side pipes he took off of his '56 vette. Immediately, I knew what had to be done. I read over a few forums from years back, and it seems like every time someone wants to get an answer about running stacks, they don't get very happy responses. With that said, I am going to be putting them on regardless, but was wondering how I should mount them. Should I run them through the step? Put it right against the cab and cut out a little of the step? Not sure yet, haven't gotten a good look at them to get a good idea. Also, how do you guys run it around the gas tank? do I have to go parallel with the rocker for a few feet? What should I use to mount it to the cab? Just spitballing here, but any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 10.25.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 10.25.56 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 178

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
side pipes would look good to me, I wouldn't care much for stacks. And yes, I got nothing to offer to your how to questions. But I'm looking forward to what you end up with,

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Side pipes FTW!
When I was a little kid, my Dad's '74 454 Camper Special had Vette side pipes. It was annoying as hell and awesome!
Issue I see with true side pipes and a stepper short bed is the lower body line doesn't carry through past the cab and IMO it would look funky if the pipes were following the rocker panel and then just sitting out in space under the bed steps.
You'd need to fit them up there and see what you think. Another great option, especially since you have ground clearance to spare, is side dumps in front of the rear axle. That would look cool too.
I almost half wished that the '86 we bought last year had a ratty exhaust so I had an excuse to install side pipes, but alas it has a very good condition fully welded set of duals currently.
Post some more pics of your truck, that thing looks awesome!

katie87

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
I'll definitely have to look at it further, do some measurements and such. If the side pipes don't work, I'll end up probably doing stacks. I like the idea of stacks too, but it seems like most of the other people in the forums don't really like them on a gasser... and here's a few more pics for ya

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.13.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.13.21 PM.png
    321.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.12.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.12.22 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.12.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.12.05 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.11.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.11.50 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 149

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
@katie87 I think either way would look fine, if done right.

If you do stacks I would think setting them up like the old Dodge Truck "Lil Red Express" has them would be a good way to do it. Or maybe inside the box through the floor, to the inside of the frame rails???....

For side pipes, maybe clamp them into place, take a step back and see what you think. As @Grit dog mentioned it may look a little off coming out under that small step. However, you don't know until you have a look!

As for what others think about "your" truck, who cares. If you like it, do it! Let someone else put whatever they want to see on their own trucks.

If you do mock up these pipes, post some pictures, I want to see this!!

katie87

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
I'll definitely post some pics as I get going with the project, first gotta paint the pipes. Now, I do really love those lil red express trucks, I was actually looking at them before I got Katie here. Now here's another question; the pipes are old and are completely rusted on the surface, definitely will need a paint job. Now, do I have the pipe itself powder coated like a matte black, and have the guards chromed again, or do I chrome the whole pipe? I think the black would look pretty good on the truck, and I hope to get black rims sometime in the future, so it would match well, but the silver would match everything else on the truck as she sits. What do you guys think?

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
That depends on how much money you want to spend. Chroming something isn't cheap, and if your pipes are pitted up, they may not even chrome them for you.

Might I suggest that you clean up the pipes & guards really well, then spray high temp matte black on the pipes (even a rattle can), and then maybe paint the guards either the same color as your truck, or high temp gray maybe?

Or for new stuff, check out Summit Racing, Amazon, and some other places.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. I can't say to do them or not do them, either side or stacked.

My concern would be, having the exhaust so close to the fuel tank(s).

Stacks would not look correct on the stepper because they would be not placed correctly due to the tank(s). If they were placed like the 70s Dodge 'lil red truck you would need to move the tank(s).

Having the side pipes on a 4x4 its questionable, on a 2WD it would be cool looking.

Just my thoughts. Its your vehicle, don't let the public choose what you would like to do with it. Its not their truck or their money being used.

BTW, sweet looking stepper.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If they're rusting I wouldn't even attempt chroming. Clean them off as best you can and load them up with barbecue paint. Expect them to rust again. I don't think powdercoat will tolerate that kind of heat either. Try it with paint, see how it works out and if you really love it save your money for a set that's already chromed or ceramic coated.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Side pipes off a '56 Vette??? And you are going to use them on your step??? How about this...Lower your truck to the ground, then put the pipes on and it will remind everyone of the Vette. But if you leave the step side up like it is everyone will have a negative comment about them. But on a slammed truck? Then that's what I'm talking about! Then they'll look cool.
Otherwise, you'll get a whole heck of a lot of money out of them if you sell them, especially if they are original equipment.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Side pipes off a '56 Vette??? And you are going to use them on your step??? How about this...Lower your truck to the ground, then put the pipes on and it will remind everyone of the Vette. But if you leave the step side up like it is everyone will have a negative comment about them. But on a slammed truck? Then that's what I'm talking about! Then they'll look cool.
Otherwise, you'll get a whole heck of a lot of money out of them if you sell them, especially if they are original equipment.

I had not thought of that, you make a good point there. Some will pay decent money for original stuff, even if that stuff needs restoration. That may pay for new repop chrome pipes of choice.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Whichever they are, if they're original they're worth mucho denaro.

katie87

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
The issue with selling them is that my great uncle gave them to me, and was hesitant to do so. He says they have lots of sentimental value to him, and I wouldn't want to do that to him. As for slamming it, I would never slam this thing. I appreciate a nice slammed chevy, but Katie here belongs in the sky. Especially up here in Maine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84