Correct Injector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Noticed some interesting differences in the injector Amazon sent me. Overall dimensions were the same, but the screen on it was much different than OEM, and the nozzle looked completely different (at the very end on stock, recessed on aftermarket). Someone on the reviews said they used it on an “‘87 K5,” but I just wanted to be sure this isn’t the end of the world as far as these injectors go. Same part number, Standard Motor Prod. TJ7, showed the OEM style on RockAuto, and Amazon showed the picture of what I got.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I always replace those suckers in pairs. I figure if one is crapping out, the other one might not be far behind.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. It went into the pod fine, but my big concern is that weird screen. You can’t slip it off like the little one that came on them so when it comes time to rebuild, I’ll have to figure something else out. The reviews were great on this injector, but unless you can pull that screen off and clean it, it’ll be a problem a good while from now. I wrote about my predicament in my build thread, but basically what happened was that injector died when my ICM went out, which I verified using a 9V battery to cycle the injectors and checking injector resistance on the low scale. The one that wasn’t spraying completely failed everything, and the other one checked out fine. My working hypothesis is that all hell broke loose electrically in the moment of ICM failure, and that passenger side injector got the brunt of it. We’ll see how it goes with this reinvented wheel design.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sent that POS back. It dripped super bad, and on top of that, the spray pattern looked like a really old, calcified shower head. I know the assembly went fine. I ordered an AC Delco that should be here Thursday.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
STAY AWAY FROM THE STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TJ7 INJECTOR!!!

My new one was listed as a NOS AC Delco injector for $55 on eBay, came in today, popped it in, and it finally ran perfectly. I was skeptical because of the price, and there’s a sticker on the box that shows a manufacture date of 08/18/01, but it went well. It came with a bunch of gaskets, and it was very well packaged. That stupid recessed shower head nozzle does not work in the injector pods, and there is no way to properly replace those stupid screens when you rebuild the unit because they are unique to that injector. That’s the **** that happens when you try to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited: