converting from column to B&M floor shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm getting ready to remove the column shift hardware and install a new B&M truck mega shifter down on the floor. And the last time I did one of these was literally 18 years ago probably. But something is telling me that I need to somehow lock out the column hardware that would have controlled the original shifter so that it can't "move" once it's been removed.? Or do I just remove all the linkage and hardware, knock the roll pin out of the shifter arm on the column and run it! I can't remember exactly. But something is reminding me that if it somehow gets bumped or moved around some that you can't grab the keys out of the ignition once the truck is shut off. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? And to add, I know from first mock up, there's going to be some modifying to get the shifter and cover to sit down nice on the floor without it looking like it was just thrown in!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Interested in this as well. If I ever change to bucket seats with the console, I'd like to put one right next to me.

I'm thinking you might want to pull the shifter detent inside the column and let the other shifter turn the column so your "not in park" lockout still works for the key. lol hope I explained that right.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just removed my shift lever and called it good. You do loose some safety features especially with a cheap shifter like I put in (B&M Unimatic). There's hardly any safety detent to remove from park.

It was only a problem once. There was an incident involving my disobedient nephew, a slight grade in a driveway, and a parked Dodge Dakota.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
:Stupid Me: lol forgot the bit at the end of the lever is what cycles through the internal detent. Hate when I pull a bone head like that lol. thanks for the quick response Bucket.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got buckets in my truck and would like to do this also one day. Watching the thread in hope for info.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I currently have a B & M shifter in my 64 and I have no idea how it was installed on the turbo 350 transmission. I am subscribed to get educated on how it should be done since the p.o. installed it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I documented the install of my shifter years ago. It's here somewhere, I'll have to look for it.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I documented the install of my shifter years ago. It's here somewhere, I'll have to look for it.

Sweet, I looked around and searched threads but couldn't find anything related to it. I remember other than being a little time consuming that it wasn't that bad. But I still feel like there was something that needed to be done to the column in the process. If I get time to install this weekend, maybe i'll try and take some pictures and jot down some documentation on it while I do the process!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There a GM part called "floor shift tilt column bowl" (among other descriptions) that was used on 4-speed trucks and lots of other GM vehicles with floor shifters. I think the ones for tilt and non-tilt columns are different. It would look something like this, depending on your column:
You must be registered for see images attach

squarebodyC10

Reaction score
First Name
Trinity
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did this just last year. I knocked out the little pin holding the shifter to the column, then I went full ghetto and used a coat hanger wire to tie up the other side at the firewall. Haven't had any issues at all. It might be ghetto, but it works.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I did this just last year. I knocked out the little pin holding the shifter to the column, then I went full ghetto and used a coat hanger wire to tie up the other side at the firewall. Haven't had any issues at all. It might be ghetto, but it works.

If it works it works.

Welcome by the way.

squarebodyC10

Reaction score
First Name
Trinity
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just removed my shift lever and called it good. You do loose some safety features especially with a cheap shifter like I put in (B&M Unimatic). There's hardly any safety detent to remove from park.

It was only a problem once. There was an incident involving my disobedient nephew, a slight grade in a driveway, and a parked Dodge Dakota.
Same exact shifter I bought and installed lol. You're right, it doesn't take much to knock it out of park.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg