Converter Q on 4.8LS swap keeping TH400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gene

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Doing a 4.8 LS swap in a 1987 4x4 which had a 305 w/TH400 stock truck. Keeping the TH400 but unsure about the torq converter. Should i get something more matched to the stock LS engine power or just keep the stock converter. I know its prob a little more HP but not much. I am ok with everything else just have no experience or knowledge About torq converters. Truck will not be used to tow anything but a utility trailer with a 4wheeler or lawnmower. Might put some 33” tires nothing bigger than that. If that Info is needed. thanks!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Either get a converter made for the LS engine, or you need the adapter for the converter pilot. I’m not very well versed in the LS stuff, I think the distance from the converter pilot to crank is different, and a different diameter than the stock 400 converter.

I would think the stock converter would be fine behind a stock LS.

Gene

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Thanks. I already have all the conversion parts. Just curious about the stall speed needs of the stock vs the LS engine. Thats what im curious about. Did some reading last night and see where some say diff things.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I feel like if the power is similar enough between the two engines (and I'm talking ballpark), you'll be fine. I've never heard of someone breaking a tranny over a 50hp difference (even a ****** transmission), especially not a turbo400, those are pretty stout transmissions.

Also, fwiw, it's spelled "torque". Nbd;Js

Gene

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yep on the spelling. thanks ok well im gonna just run what i have instead of buying new parts that i dont need.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hah, I was just poking fun at the spelling thing. But yeah man I would honestly be very surprised if a 4.8 blew up a TH400, that's the transmission that was usually mated to big blocks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell