Convert cargo light to third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGPick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 2WD
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
Anyone converted their cargo light to a third brake light? Almost been rear ended twice now because of idiots not paying attention. And I’m sure it doesn’t help that there’s only the two tail lights which are rather dim.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Anyone converted their cargo light to a third brake light? Almost been rear ended twice now because of idiots not paying attention. And I’m sure it doesn’t help that there’s only the two tail lights which are rather dim.
Thats one reason i added this and am gunna add the rapid fire LED tail lights soon as money will allow. All except 1 of my accidents i was rear ended, i like it to be seen back there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Extra lighting may or may not help with the way drivers are today. FOMO is causing a lot of accidents and they probably won't pay any more attention to more lights that than they already do. Just hope it doesn't happen. Although, they are responsible for it if they do!!!

BGPick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 2WD
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
Yeah, I just fear that insurance would total the truck out depening on the extent of the damage. And in IL it’s near impossible to register/insure a salvage title vehicle. So better safe than sorry!

I imagine it’s just as easy as mounting it and then tapping into existing brake light wiring somewhere. Only problem would be making sure it doesn’t flash with the turn signals.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m thinking a train horn facing backwards and an on board compressor... I’ve wondered about this, too. The cargo light serves a good purpose, I think. I’ve also wondered about putting one on mine sometime in the distant future. Even though it’s not a pickup, if I wanted some light back there for whatever reason, I could just flip a switch. What about a Ford third brake light? You can keep the cargo lamp, and you can add the brake light.

BGPick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 2WD
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
I like the way you think, my friend!

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Extra lighting may or may not help with the way drivers are today. FOMO is causing a lot of accidents and they probably won't pay any more attention to more lights that than they already do. Just hope it doesn't happen. Although, they are responsible for it if they do!!!

Fear Of Moving Over?

We suffer from that a lot in PA due to the the front platers.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI

I converted my cargo light, or rather modified it to be both a cargo light AND third brake light. I tapped into the brake light circuit. When the brake pedal is pressed...brake lights, when the turn signal is activated, turn signals. Now I have four brake lights out back and four turn signal markers as well.

What I did was run two individual leds, one on either side of the cargo light.

The individual leds which serve as brake lights are small red led side marker bulbs. The cargo light which was originally an incandescent was also swapped out to a led strip (white). It is a tight fit, but all three led lights fit snug inside of the housing. I simply wired up all three lights to their respective circuits.

I have a train horn (3 actually) on my other truck. The only thing it does is make people piss themselves AND swerve. It never seems to fail, but when my trailer is attached to my truck, every one drives like an idiot. I will admit however, I still get a kick out of how loud and disturbing that train horn is. It really wakes up drivers who aren't paying attention.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yeah, I just fear that insurance would total the truck out depening on the extent of the damage. And in IL it’s near impossible to register/insure a salvage title vehicle. So better safe than sorry!

I imagine it’s just as easy as mounting it and then tapping into existing brake light wiring somewhere. Only problem would be making sure it doesn’t flash with the turn signals.

It will flash due to the circuit design. You may be able to wire in a seperate switch behind the brake pedal, but theres more work and wiring involved.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Here I was reading this and found myself wondering "Do I have a cargo light?"
Answer is nope.
Bummer.
Hopefully the huge steel bumper and tow hitch will make them pay attention.
Wishful thinking, I know...

I installed a third high brake light onto my other car and people still try to run me over often. Then they swear at me as they drive by and I am in my driveway.
People are idiots...

Now I am going to put aux. brake and running light options on my list of things to do before winter comes and people get really stoopid.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There is a circuit (WHT 17) that can be tapped into for a dedicated brake light signal (i.e. one that is unaffected by turn signal operation). It is short - the only accessible part is from the load side of the brake switch and where it enters the steering column - but it is common practice to use that WHT 17 lead to operate electric trailer brakes. After leaving the MFS that circuit is useless for a dedicated brake light power supply - because at that point it also supplies the directionals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8