1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continuing the Legacy - 1990 Chevrolet Suburban R1500 "Silvy" Work Thread

Discussion in '2wd Suburban, Blazer and Jimmy' started by Altemose, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Altemose

Altemose Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    1986, 1991
    Truck Model:
    C1500 "E.T.", R1500 Suburban "Silvy"
    Engine Size:
    305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
    Hello All,

I have been a long time lurker on these forums, but you will be hearing more from me now. When I was 14, one of the scout leaders in my Boy Scout troop bought a 1991 Chevrolet Suburban V1500, and needless to say I fell in love and wanted one immediately. At that point, I began reading all I could about the trucks and came across this forum and specifically the ongoing thread on 89Suburban's 1990 Suburban, Silvy. I have been following his thread since 2014, and when I came across that he was selling her, I knew I wanted to have her. I was actually in the process of hunting for a set of wheels like the set on Silvy for the 1986 GMC C1500 that I am restoring, and ended up asking about buying Silvy from him. I contacted 89Suburban on Friday, and had a temp tag and title in my name on Saturday.

One of the things that I wanted to do was continue on the legacy for all of you members of this site on Silvy, and as a result this is going to be the work thread. Unfortunately, college and work have had me tied up all week, but I began to dive into her today. Here are some pictures from the day we brought her home (photos by @89Suburban). First Day on Trailer.JPG Heading Out.JPG

The first order of business for this weekend is to get the oil and filter changed. For all of my Squares, I run Castol GTX 10w30 with an AC Delco filter and a bottle of STP oil treatment for the zinc content. That will be completed on Saturday, as an oil change is the first thing I do on any vehicle. Furthermore, today I checked the timing as she sounded a slight bit "off". Turns out there is a vacuum leak at the throttle body base gasket. Unfortunately, I gave mine away with my last 91 Suburban I sold, so I will have one ordered in.

The truck looks great, and will be a great driver! My plan is to use Silvy as my driver through the winter while I restore "E.T", my 86 C1500. Then, in the spring Silvy will be my primary focus. The POR-15 that 89Suburban put on has really preserved the underside of the truck and it looks great. The one downside I see to the POR-15 is that it acts as a sealant so it appears that the rust has nowhere to go but inwards. On frames that I have wirewheeled, needle scaled, and painted in the past using Rustoleum Rust-Reformer and then a flat black standard paint, there was never the extent of inward growth of rust following the application. IMG_0361.JPG
    I am not sure if this is POR-15's fault necessarily, but I wonder if it is contributing to the ongoing rot in the back near the trailer hitch and on the front cross member. Never the less, I will get her all fixed up, and I must say I love the silver on the underside as it is very clear to see rust issues and is all around much easier to see underneath at night with a single work light. I do not have a garage that I can pull it in, so working in the driveway is how it usually goes. The goal is to completely repaint the frame next weekend. I am still contemplating whether I would like to fabricate the compromised rear frame section and cross member area, or to replace the affected areas with sections out of a wrecked Suburban. For anyone near me, in Peach Bottom, PA there is a salvage yard called Stateline with square bodies as far as the eye can see. I will be heading there to get a original GM radio soon for Silvy. Call me crazy, but I keep the aftermarket head units in other cars, but my squares stay all original down the FM radio. My one exception is the RetroSound in "E.T".

I am looking forwards to the progress on Silvy, and I absolutely am falling in love with Silvy. My other truck is a bit jealous of the attention it is getting however, as even the neighbors came over to ask about it. They have never stopped by for my other trucks, and there have been a few :)

89Suburban and animal like this.
  2. 1987 GMC Jimmy

1987 GMC Jimmy Automobile Hoarder

First Name:
    Jesse
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500 Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    This is cool. Glad to see something being kept in the "family." I know @Honky Kong jr is in PA, but I don't know how far he is from you. Welcome to the forum!

3. Altemose

Altemose Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    1986, 1991
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
    Thank you! If he isn’t very far then Stateline is definitely a trip worth making.

4. Honky Kong jr

Honky Kong jr Super Sarcastic Man

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    I'm in Denver about 10 mins. from exit 286 on the PA turnpike. So if you grow tired of the mini squares.........lol

5. Altemose

Altemose Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    1986, 1991
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
    Not too far - about an hour and a half from me. I’m in Elkton, MD.

6. Honky Kong jr

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    272 will get you here. Lol

7. Altemose

Altemose Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    1986, 1991
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
    Relatively straight shot too. What did you mean by the mini squares? You wouldn’t by chance have a spare gray front bench seat for Silvy or the middle seat belt for a bench by chance?

8. Honky Kong jr

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    Grey seat belts maybe....I have remnants of a K5.... mini squares, meaning that headlight and grill assembly.:D

9. 89Suburban

89Suburban Full Access Member

First Name:
    Paw Paw
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Chevrolet Tahoe LT
    Engine Size:
    5.3, 4WD
    Great opening post for this thread Mike. Glad to see you still excited about her and you are not screwing around at all tackling things with her. I agree with your comment that the POR15 in the long run ended up as a sealer and did not actually stop the rust just slowed it down. This is partially my fault as I was told I should have used the activator for it before applying it when it was too late. In hind sight I if I could go back and do it over again I would actually use that silver titanium combination primer/paint I showed you in the rattle can. I also completely agree with how much nice it is to work under the truck and under the hood with everything being painted silver. You can see things going on much clearer. Much better environment to be working in. I look forward to the rest of the story of Silvy...

1987 GMC Jimmy likes this.
  10. Altemose

Altemose Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    1986, 1991
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
    Right on! I am contemplating going back to the buckets up front if I can find a set or getting the front bench recovered. That being said, it appears that the bucket seat seat belts are still installed so I am trying to find the ones for the middle seat.

Thank you! I am at work right now, but when I get off at 2:00 I am going to do the oil and filter as well as replace the TBI base gasket as I found a small vacuum leak there. Was that Titanium Silver the paint that you used on the body when you did rust repairs? I also saw that Duplicolor had a similar looking "automotive" paint that I may try. As for the frame, it looks great but I think the POR 15 actually increased the rust inwards. That one piece of rust that I pictured was pretty thick so I will probably be taking it all off and reapplying the POR 15 freshly, especially after the rear frame is repaired. Also, what made you take the visor back off and is that what the switch is for on the top overhead console? I meant to ask all these things when we were up there getting her, but frankly I was too excited! Did you by chance save the seat belts from the 89?

11. Honky Kong jr

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    I'm thinking the rears seat of a blazer should work for the front seat of a Burb.

12. Altemose

Altemose Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    1986, 1991
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
    That would be great if you still have them. Would you by chance have a lead on a 89-91 style front bench for these or a set of buckets? I have a red bench that is going to be in E.T., but finding a gray one is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

13. Honky Kong jr

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    Sorry I don't. But the belts are yours come get them.

14. Altemose

Altemose Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    1986, 1991
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
    Right on! I plan on going through Silvy today and maybe next weekend I can make the trip up there to you for them.

15. Honky Kong jr

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    :waytogo: