Confused new year...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCfan

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 2WD
Engine Size
I finally got the motor/tranny set in the rolling chassis with the help of my 13 YO grandson assistant. Now that I want to do this right I'm getting mixed signals on what is important regarding transmission center line to pinion shaft angle relationship. Best I can figure is you want the two at the same angle...does this sound correct? Secondly the lesser the driveshaft angles, two piece, the better. This is a 1976 2WD, long bed. TIA for your thoughts and be careful out there tonight. It's hovering around freezing here so I just might head to the barn and putter tonight. Prosperous New Year to you all!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Their need to be a specified angle from the transmission to the differential. That keeps the needle rollers in the U~Joint trunions rotating and prevents them from wearing in one position.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I finally got the motor/tranny set in the rolling chassis with the help of my 13 YO grandson assistant. Now that I want to do this right I'm getting mixed signals on what is important regarding transmission center line to pinion shaft angle relationship. Best I can figure is you want the two at the same angle...does this sound correct? Secondly the lesser the driveshaft angles, two piece, the better. This is a 1976 2WD, long bed. TIA for your thoughts and be careful out there tonight. It's hovering around freezing here so I just might head to the barn and putter tonight. Prosperous New Year to you all!

Yes, the two angles of the "U" joints should match. Here is a video that explains it very well. The first half of the two piece works best if straight back from the gear box.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BBCfan

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 2WD
Engine Size
My interpretation is the transmission center line and pinion angle center line need to be the same. Is this correct?

MrMarty51 thank you . I also have a 1950 panhead that was raped during the chopper era...poor thing.

Turbo4whl great video! Now I have a starting point. The lesser the angle of the driveshafts(2 piece) the better I assume?

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
My interpretation is the transmission center line and pinion angle center line need to be the same. Is this correct?

Yes, correct.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Also remember, the final adjustment of the axle pinion angle should be made after the chassis is loaded. ie: body and all, on the chassis.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
And just to confuse the OP... on a lifted 4x4 you can point the rear diff directly at the tail of the transfer case IF you have a CV on the end of it.
The slip joint would need to be built into the driveshaft.

BBCfan

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 2WD
Engine Size
Please don't mess with the OPs state of confusion...60 YO this saturday and I am a master at self confusion and misplacing stuff in nanoseconds. LOL. We were out and removed the homemade axle angle shims. The trans and pinion are within 0.4 degrees of each other now!! A couple twists on the Heim joints and they should about dead on. Once the chassis is fully loaded I will recheck it all again. I helped, in the early 1990s, to make custom ladder bars with sliders up front so I had suspension. At the time i cooked the quarter at about 12.0 or so. Learned about spring wrap, wheel hop, drive shaft roping/failure. Threw the DS into the RH fuel tank and ruptured it, cracked the bell housing and was very glad it didn't go up in flames. That was at Thompson raceway in Ohio.
Idahovette that little comment is one GREAT way to end this year and kick off the new year...thank you so much. He's my step grandson and is half of my world most days. He's had a very mechanical curiosity since he was very young. Mooshy **** over.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Please don't mess with the OPs state of confusion...60 YO this saturday and I am a master at self confusion and misplacing stuff in nanoseconds. LOL. We were out and removed the homemade axle angle shims. The trans and pinion are within 0.4 degrees of each other now!! A couple twists on the Heim joints and they should about dead on. Once the chassis is fully loaded I will recheck it all again. I helped, in the early 1990s, to make custom ladder bars with sliders up front so I had suspension. At the time i cooked the quarter at about 12.0 or so. Learned about spring wrap, wheel hop, drive shaft roping/failure. Threw the DS into the RH fuel tank and ruptured it, cracked the bell housing and was very glad it didn't go up in flames. That was at Thompson raceway in Ohio.
Idahovette that little comment is one GREAT way to end this year and kick off the new year...thank you so much. He's my step grandson and is half of my world most days. He's had a very mechanical curiosity since he was very young. Mooshy **** over.

You are about 30 days older than me so I get it. I'm the young buck here, SIR. I have a mechanically inclined 6 yr old, but he's not my grandson. That's how young I am!
Actually I'm not much better than you... once I misplaced a wife!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
My oldest grandson is 18 and is headed off to Missouri Valley In Marshall Missouri for the 2nd semester the 14th of January. He has a full ride scholarship to Wrestle for them. He is leaving his 79 K10 here for me to watch over and I am going to miss him being around the shop and "in the way" LOL. Great kid, double great student and we are all very proud. Hoping you Missouri folks will look out for him if the situation arises!!

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
You are about 30 days older than me so I get it. I'm the young buck here, SIR. I have a mechanically inclined 6 yr old, but he's not my grandson. That's how young I am!
Actually I'm not much better than you... once I misplaced a wife!
Misplaced eh? Should we be looking for her or waiving goodbye?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
My oldest grandson is 18 and is headed off to Missouri Valley In Marshall Missouri for the 2nd semester the 14th of January. He has a full ride scholarship to Wrestle for them. He is leaving his 79 K10 here for me to watch over and I am going to miss him being around the shop and "in the way" LOL. Great kid, double great student and we are all very proud. Hoping you Missouri folks will look out for him if the situation arises!!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84