Comprehensive intake and new engine hookups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79K15 HIghSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reuben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Been looking around for some info and all y’all fine folks have been so dang helpful in my quest to revive my 79 k15, I don’t feel as bad being such a noob and asking “dumb” question, as much as I’ve been told there is no such thing!
So, freshly rebuilt engine has been bolted in place, intake is on, water pump, ps, alternator, starter, all that good stuff. All that’s left is radiator and then the big one,(for me at least!) the carb and intake/vacuum lines/water lines/pcv etc.
The truck is a 79, no ac and de-smogged with no egr. Trying to get a decent worksheet or chart of where to hook everything up. YouTube is of no help, the algorithm doesn’t understand what I’m looking for. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
lets go by power of elimination.

Big line on back of carb to brake booster
Big line on front of carb to pcv
Distributor to metered vac on carb
Water lines=
Intake or water pump line(out) to firewall(in)
Fire wall (out) to radiator(in)

What carb you running? can be more specific.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
There will be other vac lines to hook up such as trans modulator(th350) or tcc(700r4)
Also the climate control teed in there somewhere.

Do you at least still have the vac ball still?

79K15 HIghSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reuben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
lets go by power of elimination.

Big line on back of carb to brake booster
Big line on front of carb to pcv
Distributor to metered vac on carb
Water lines=
Intake or water pump line(out) to firewall(in)
Fire wall (out) to radiator(in)

What carb you running? can be more specific.

Sorry, for clarification, it’s an edelbrock with manual choke. Older one, rebuilt. Not the original one, but a very basic 4 barrel. I had a Rochester quadrajet but it was no good. Also a new intake, edelbrock, the basic $149 one for sbc.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Sorry, for clarification, it’s an edelbrock with manual choke. Older one, rebuilt. Not the original one, but a very basic 4 barrel. I had a Rochester quadrajet but it was no good. Also a new intake, edelbrock, the basic $149 one for sbc.

Ok then that should get you going. I ran my climate control into the vac ball t'd off the intake behind the carb.
The trans needs to see metered vac so run it off the carb above the baseplate(highest vac post) and t the distributor advance there as well. If you still have your old quadrabogger it will have a brass t you can pull out of the carb and use.

79K15 HIghSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reuben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Ok then that should get you going. I ran my climate control into the vac ball t'd off the intake behind the carb.
The trans needs to see metered vac so run it off the carb above the baseplate(highest vac post) and t the distributor advance there as well. If you still have your old quadrabogger it will have a brass t you can pull out of the carb and use.

Wonderful, such good info, many many thanks!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

If it's turbo 350 or turbo 400 it should have manifold vacuum not ported vacuum, and the distributor is 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.I usually run the vacuum advance off manifold vacuum but it doesn't hurt to try it both ways. Trying searching the internet for an article title ignition 101, you may even reconsider the egr.Especially if you already have an EGR manifold.With Egr you can run more total timing and get more mpg. Also.EGR is not some bad govt. Implemented thing to screw us all it is , it partially was to meet corporate average fuel economy.Simple version is it's inop. at idle, it is inop cold , it is inop under power, but at part throttle cruise conditions it pull exhaust gas into the manifold.Since the exhaust gas has no fuel it can't make things rich, since it has no oxygen it won't drive things lean,what it does is occupies space in the cylinder, leaving less space for fresh air and fuel.Less fuel'equals more MPG,less fuel means,less heat, less heat means less preignition.

Last edited:

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
If it's turbo 350 or turbo 400 it should have manifold vacuum not ported vacuum,

Well $#it. Ive been so engrossed in this recent build ive already forgotten my last truck,lol. Its funny too cause i hooked my 700r4 to manifold vac when the motor went back in and caught it later on. Im just switching it all up.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Well $#it. Ive been so engrossed in this recent build ive already forgotten my last truck,lol. Its funny too cause i hooked my 700r4 to manifold vac when the motor went back in and caught it later on. Im just switching it all up.

It's all good man, sometimes we all get confused, tired, busy whatever.Earlier today I was Trying to play nothing else matters, which I know how to play but just couldn't this morning after a few minutes I realized in my mind I was Trying to play nothing else matters but on the guitar I was playing enter sandman, and neither were right.Sleep deprivation is worse than alcohol.At least with alcohol when you do something stupid you had fun doing it.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
It's all good man, sometimes we all get confused, tired, busy whatever.Earlier today I was Trying to play nothing else matters, which I know how to play but just couldn't this morning after a few minutes I realized in my mind I was Trying to play nothing else matters but on the guitar I was playing enter sandbag, and neither were right.Sleep deprivation is worse than alcohol.At least with alcohol when you do something stupid you had fun doing it.

Thats one of the first songs I learned on guitar. Many many moons ago,lol

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics