Complete front axle rebuild kit….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have two 1976 Chevy trucks. One is a Step Side Sport and the other is the base model K10 with the 8ft box. Both are 4WD. The long box has a VERY loose front end. You can just put your finger on the U-joint where the stub axle meets the other part of the shaft and move it with your finger up and down. Tons of play. It makes noise when you turn sometimes. I bought the truck from my brother because he thought there was something wrong with it. I paid 400 dollars. It only needed gas…hahaha. It’s a numbers matching truck with the 350 and the SM465/205 sent up. The only thing I found wrong is the problem with the front axle and it won’t lock the front axle when you use the transfer case stick on the floor. Probably a linkage alingment I’m guessing. I want to buy a complete rebuild kit for the Dana 44 front axle. Do you guys know where I can buy one with all the stuff I need and do you guys think I will need buy new axles for the front because they have been wearing metal on metal for a while I bet. Thanks guys for all your help with my trucks, I really appreciate it.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I have bought quite a few items from East Coast Gear Supply here in NC. I'd check out their site to see what they offer for the Dana 44. I rebuilt the 44 in my 74 Blazer several years back and all the components were purchased at the local auto parts store. Good Luck!

Strickland

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't see why you would need new axles, I question the "wearing metal on metal". Those axles are not set up like the rear axles at all. It sounds like you need to go through the front hubs more than you need to worry about the axles themselves.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't see why you would need new axles, I question the "wearing metal on metal". Those axles are not set up like the rear axles at all. It sounds like you need to go through the front hubs more than you need to worry about the axles themselves.
The axle on the driver side moves all over the place. Not just the hub. It moves all around in the axle tube. Would that be a bushing or a bearing? It’s very sloppy. I was thinking since I would have it all apara, I would just put in some Moser axles or another aftermarket brand to make the axle Al little stronger. I will be using this as work/off-road rig on my property. It will get abused.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The axle on the driver side moves all over the place. Not just the hub. It moves all around in the axle tube. Would that be a bushing or a bearing? It’s very sloppy. I was thinking since I would have it all apara, I would just put in some Moser axles or another aftermarket brand to make the axle Al little stronger. I will be using this as work/off-road rig on my property. It will get abused.
Unless I am missing something, there is nothing on the outside ends of the axle tube that holds the axle itself in place. The seals are at the chunk, the axles can "flop" especially the driver's side which is the long side. Mine has some movement, I just crawled under there to take a couple pics.

As far as I know, it is the bearings in the hub that keep the axle more or less aligned.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had some trouble getting the camera in there to look into the end of the axle tube but there is no bearing or bushing that supports the outside end of the axle shaft.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Unless I am missing something, there is nothing on the outside ends of the axle tube that holds the axle itself in place. The seals are at the chunk, the axles can "flop" especially the driver's side which is the long side. Mine has some movement, I just crawled under there to take a couple pics.

As far as I know, it is the bearings in the hub that keep the axle more or less aligned.

I had some trouble getting the camera in there to look into the end of the axle tube but there is no bearing or bushing that supports the outside end of the axle shaft.

Thank you for your help. I have never rebuilt an axle and this will be my first time. @Redfish

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thank you for your help. I have never rebuilt an axle and this will be my first time. @Redfish
I don't know how much actual help I am... I will tell you that getting the long side stabbed back in place can be a bit problematic. A friend who is at the differential may be some help while you are stabbing the axle back in place.

When we did Pop's '77 GMC back in the early '80s there was a lot of mud that had dried up inside that tube. It's not like you can just stick a water hose in there, you sure don't want to wash it back into the differential.

I have been thinking that if I turn my front wheels I may be able to get a better pic of the end of the axle tube. I will study this later, I am at work right now.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Do some research i.e put the front end up on jack stands. Take the wheels off and inspect everything. Figure out what you really need. There are a few sites where yo can get every thing you need. Here's one site https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c718_dana_44_front_chevy.html

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
All I've ever done is call my closest parts store tell them I need both pinion brgs with races,both differential carrier bearings and races both axle bearings,axle seals and pinion seal. Usually have what I need the same afternoon.And back together by dinner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84