Column swap help..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Swapping a rebuilt manual column into my 85 with auto column. All is good except..I can't figure out how to get the rubber firewall gasket off the old column. The linkage lever arm needs to come off to get the gasket off in 1 piece. Please don't tell me I have to disassemble the column to get it off. I'd rather cut the arm off than dissasemble it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Isn't glued on to the toepan ?

Never took that gasket off ...

Once loose, I would *think* you could flop the hole in that gasket around the arm.

Or, if not, cut the gasket, not the arm ...

Best of luck!

Britt

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Wait a minute - that metal shroud is 2 pieces with rubber **** (book calls em carrots) that hold the seal to the metal.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The metal part comes right off. I'm just trying to get the rubber seal off the column but that shift arm has to come off to do it...at least in one piece.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That would be a shame to cut the arm off to get the rubber gasket. I don't think Goldie was understanding what you're asking. I just wonder if you can bend the arm instead of cutting it off and if the rubber is flexible enough to get over it, then someone could bend it back after they put their rubber on it. I'd just hate to see the column tore up if it's a good one cuz it's worth some cash if it's a good one especially if it's a tilt column with a Cruise MFS.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well , what I was wondering is if there is enough flex in the rubber to oval it around the end of the shaft on the column and then walk it around the shift lever and off.

May not be if not, I would cut the rubber, not the lever, then tape or glue it back together on the new column .

As long as the "carrot" is not broken it should still stay tight on the metal plate.

My thoughts, anyhoo.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That rubber gasket is pretty hefty, like about 1/4' thick. No way will it stretch enough to get it around the arm or under the arm and over the end of the tube. In the meantime, I got it all sealed up with Gorilla Tape. It's coming out again in the future when I do the pedal swap for the 4500 conversion. I see Classic Parts sells that gasket for $14. Maybe I will just order one and have it available for the future.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If the gasket was cut it could be glued back firmly with Super Glue or better yet, Loctite 404... this is used for gluing O rings...
But... there must be a better way...?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That rubber gasket is pretty hefty, like about 1/4' thick. No way will it stretch enough to get it around the arm or under the arm and over the end of the tube. In the meantime, I got it all sealed up with Gorilla Tape. It's coming out again in the future when I do the pedal swap for the 4500 conversion. I see Classic Parts sells that gasket for $14. Maybe I will just order one and have it available for the future.

Set the gasket out in the sun to warm it, use a hair dryer, and get medieval with it. I just did this earlier today. It takes some muscle, but it will stretch enough to go over the shift lever. Good luck.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Set the gasket out in the sun to warm it, use a hair dryer, and get medieval with it. I just did this earlier today. It takes some muscle, but it will stretch enough to go over the shift lever. Good luck.

LOL - show that turd who is the boss !:dancingpoop:

And, ditto on the good luck :) !

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Thanks. I'll massage it with my heat gun and go stretch Armstrong on it.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Update. I kinda feel like a dick. I wiggled and stretched it off last night. It actually wasn't difficult. I just assumed by looking at it that it wasn't coming off intact. Well, assuming made an ass out of me. Thanks Matt69olds for saying you did it first. Lol

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
You got it, and had proof it could be done compliments of Matt69olds, so it's a win.

Good Job!

:D

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
If that auto column is a real 4 speed one, it's worth some $ to people doing 700-R4 upgrades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128