Column conversion from auto to stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Converting my 84 dually over to a sm465/Doug Nash od. Besides just taking the shifter out and calling it a day Can the column be converted to a manual transmission column? Have found a couple std columns but no cruise control. Can the stalk from mine be installed in a column that wasn’t cruise? Thanks

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
When I converted my '80 pickup from three-on-the-tree to four-on-the-floor I just left the factory column in there.

I pinned it so that it would stay in the proper position to get the key in and out. I also cut the remaining nub off and mounted my Sun tach over the hole.

Similar with my Chevelle, which was a floor shift auto originally but used a back feed rod to drive the shifter bowl, functioning the key/shifter interlock, neutral start switch and PRNDL indicator.

I removed the back feed rod for header clearance, moved the PRNDL indicator and NSS to the console, and left the original column in place.

K

You must be registered for see images attach

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd be curious as to how you plan to run shift linkage to a top loader!

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I'd be curious as to how you plan to run shift linkage to a top loader!

Not to speak on behalf of the original poster - but I assume he'll be using the floor shifter that comes with the SM465.

That means the original column shifter is going to be flopping around up there unused, and he's asking what to do about it.

K

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am currently reworking a tilt column to swap inro my '84 C10.
The column is for an automatic and I am running a 4 speed Muncie.
The tilt is tight but the spring for the wheel lock pin is broken, so I have it torn apart that far.

Question #1 is: can I replace the column shift collar with one for a manual tranny without problem?
I believe that will require an even further tear-down of the column.

Question #2: how does one remove the wiring harnesses for the turn signal, etc?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Ronno6,

Question #1 Yeah, you can replace the shifter "collar" with one for a "standard" column with no shifter hole. But, yeah, you're right, it will require tear down to removing that lower housing (collar). You'll have to get the lock plate off to remove the lower housing. It will all have to come out just like rebuilding the column. Do you want to keep the tilt? You can do that to with the "standard" lower housing.

Question #2 Undo the turn signal part of the harness down on that straight looking thing that holds the flat straight plug. Just undo it, either lift up or pull down I forget which. You'll see. After you unscrew the turn signal cam, and all that, just look in the lower right inside of the column and gently pull it out towards you as you sit in front of the column. Watch out for those pesky black plastic sleeves around the wiring that are supposed to protect the wires from chafing inside the column. You may have to pull the wires by that flat plug back towards the firewall a little bit to get the sleeving out to where you can get a hold of it and see if you can cut it off. I don't believe you can get the turn signal wiring out with the sleeves on there. But you might get lucky.

You will have to put the wiring back in the same way. Put a thin wire onto the flat plug, not damaging any of the contacts, use it to pull the flat plug and wires back the same way. You'll see where they go through.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Ronno6,

Oh yeah! I just remembered something important. Since you'll be removing the column shifter you will also have to relocate the neutral safety switch. I mean otherwise you'll have to put it in the "Park" position and fix it there so you can start the engine. But you can get a switch locator and attach it to the side of the transmission. You may be doing that anyway with the stick shifter of whatever you'll be using. It may come with a kit.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have to swap columns from my original (rust bucket) cab to my donor cab. But i am just swapping the column out , the donor is a 4sp and I need the auto column. I have not really looked at what that entails...but I know I personally do not want to pull a column apart. Those of you that do it more power to ya. That is outta my comfort zone as I have never even pulled the steering wheel

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Job accomplished, at least with regard to the shift collar and steering lock spring.
The assembly was not nearly as difficult as I had feared.
It kinda helped that the column was out of the truck and on the workbench.
Being able to rotate it around may have been helpful.
Now, to figure out the ignition switch situation (in another thread...)
Then install and HOPE that everything works....

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Ronno6,

Oh yeah! I just remembered something important. Since you'll be removing the column shifter you will also have to relocate the neutral safety switch. I mean otherwise you'll have to put it in the "Park" position and fix it there so you can start the engine. But you can get a switch locator and attach it to the side of the transmission. You may be doing that anyway with the stick shifter of whatever you'll be using. It may come with a kit.

I suppose that, should I do everything proper like, the 2 wires from that switch should be connected to the safety switch on the clutch pedal, so that the starter will only engage when the pedal is depressed....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat