Clutch Z-bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have put in a 4 speed out of a 83 in to my 87. The 87 has the manual linkage from the 83. the z bar is mounted to the frame and the block. The problim is the rod between the fork and the Z-bar is on bad bind. almost like the clutch fork is too short. It is all the stuff from the 83 however i had the same issues on it. cuold i have the wrong Z-bar or fork. i considered modifying the z-bar any suggestions

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
post a picture of the z bar if you can get one

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
OK, i will try to get it on here tomorrow.

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
PHP:
You must be registered for see images attach
[/attach]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3,499

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
cant see whats going on for sure but

that rod should be straight from the clutch fork to the z bar
the z bar looks like it is about to slip of the pivot ball on the motor

check you motor and tranny mounts make sure they are good your motor could be sitting to the pass side causing the angle on the adjuster rod

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have replaced the tranny mounts and i just put the motor in, every thing looked good. I have a few more pics. I will try to post.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll move this thread to the Manual Trans and Clutch Category.

Looks to me you might have the hydraluic clutch fork. I'm fairly certain, cuz the slave is very close to the bell housing, the fork doesn't have to come out very far. Now the Z bar fork, I think sticks out further from the bell housing on the Z bar models, and the reason this is, is so that the linkage is actually better leverage on the fork so the clutch isn't so stiff or hard to operate. Not positive on this, but I'd sure try to find someone or ask someone here to post up a pic of their Z bar linkage at the clutch fork and then'll we'll know for sure.

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
ok, the last pic. i posted the ball on the frame mount is loosened temporarly so i could get the adjustment rod to hit the fork. the tranny is out of a 83 but some one could have switched the fork. that would make sense.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
see if you can find one for a mech. clutch setup and check it out if not I think maybe heat and bend the lower tab over or make something that bolts or welds to it to bring it over more to line them up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, I might have it figured out now. For one thing, I'm fairly certain, AGAIN NOT POSITIVE, I'm trying to dig up pics in my brain, and what I am seeing from my pictoral memory, the bracket on the frame is backwards. The flange part that sticks up should be on to the inside of the rail, not the outside. Secondly, I know why they did that. It appears to me that long Horizontal bar going from the frame to the pivot ball, is to long. That is the I6 cylinder Z bar linkage bar. The V8 bar is shorter, and will put the drop down with the adjustable rod to the fork, closer to the fork. I still say look at the fork too, that you might have the hydro fork, but I'd be willing to be a case of Pepsi you have I6 clutch linkage and that's the problem in a nut shell.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, now after further thought. I'm realizing my pictoral memory is giving me images off my 62 Chevy and 64 GMC. The I6 and V8 linkage is different. On Squares, it should be actually be about the same since they pivot off the ball on the bell housing. So, I'm going to stick with 2 things wrong here and at least one confirmed by the pic.
attachment.php

Notice how far away the bar is from the block??? This is beacause the frame bracket is backwards like I first suggested. Turn that around, that brings the Z leg about an inch closer to the bell housing. 2nd, I do beleive the Z bar clutch fork does stick out further. So bring the Z bar leg in, the clutch fork out further, and I have a feeling they'll line right up. This is just a matter of improper install and wrong parts I'm pretty certain.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also, looking at this angle, it appears to me, that frame bracket not only needs turned around, it needs to be moved further back. And again, I am back to this being I6 linkage and that is probably the right location for an I6. The I6 may very well put the pivot ball on the block instead of the bell housing. I'm not certain there, but check it out. I wish I had a reason to get to PAP buddy. Last time I was there, they have all of what you need at my local PAP. For V8. And they also have an I6 with manual Z bar. I could have gotten pics of both to show the difference for V8 and I6. Damn, why didn't I??? Fugg Me !!!

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, what trans are you running in this truck? I think I see a front spring shackle. Is this a 4x4?

It'll do you good to always give as much info as possible. Like in your details over there under you avatar, you have 1500, but don't say if it's an R or V model. R being 2wd, V being 4wd. I'd also suggest where it says engine, put your powertrai, like mine is. 350/SM465/NP208 for example. This way members that are trying to help, know what we're dealing with and can provide more rapid better responses wo having to ask as many questions. :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Again, I'm got confused with 62 & 64 GM vs Squarebody. I'm WRONG about the frame bracket being backwards. It appears all of that might be right afterall. But the clutch fork is wrong. Here is some pics of C4's V8 Z bar linkage on his 4x4 w/ SM465. Look how far his clutch fork is sticking out of the bellhousing. I shoulda shut up after my first post. But, hope these pics help.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101361&postcount=7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike