Cluster guages do not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
PO worked on the cluster prior to me buying the truck and he believed grounds were the issue.

So I went and cleaned all the grounds I could find. I have good resistance at the cluster ground to the e brake. I have power to the cluster after testing the white plug (pink is hot). Fuses are good. Volt, Oil, coolant non-op, oil works sometimes (doesn't appear to be functioning correctly).

I test the metal tabs on the back of the cluster, no resistance. Found something unplugged. Whats my next step?

You must be registered for see images attach

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Alrighty one of you here has to know what my next step should be. I need to complete the circuit right? Pulling out my knowledge from HS physics learning to splice wires. Gauges need power, a signal and ground right?

I have a ground on the cluster that functions, I have power going into the cluster, wheres my issue?

The Volt meter is fully to the left, I've read it reads the voltage at the cluster, so I'd assume then that theres an issue with my power to my cluster correct? So my next thought is the printed board is bad? How do I test that.

Next, oil pressure seems to work in that it moves around on occasion.

Coolant is fully on the right, doesn't move. Sensor? Cluster? lil bit o both?

What is the plug thats just dangling?

Anyone in MD have a spare cluster I can use to test?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
What do you mean by "power into the cluster"? Did you unplug the connector and then measure voltage from the pink wire to the ground wire? Did you back probe the connector with it plugged in at the same points to see if you were still getting good voltage? What voltage did it read?

Did you make sure to clean the contacts on the ribbon cable where the connector goes in to the cluster? The metal buttons that make contact between the ribbon cable and gauges also look very oxidized and might need replacement or at least cleaning. I would remove the dash and the gauge cluster cover and then probe each individual gauge connection to see what I have, then chase back any problems I find to the source.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
a couple things to check

all pink wires should be hot 12v with the ignition on

all the gauges should have 12v on one terminal and ground on one terminal this can be checked at the metal tabs behind the gauges .

if the previous owner swapped clusters or circuit boards they might not be compatible , there are wiring differences between years .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54