Clear coat removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
have after market aluminum wheels. Need to remove clear coat. Question is: which is better? Aircraft quality
Paint remover or oven cleaner or ???. Want to put a nice polish on them. Don't want to put clear
Coat back on . What's best to maintain them after?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
To finish up after polishing with a wheel, I mixed up of some of the Moonshine Aluminum polish recipe(s) below. Basically mineral spirits and a bar of green rouge boiled on a hot plate or in an old crock pot. I sacrificed my hunting camp (lima beans and rice) crockpot.

I added turle wax polishing compound and johnson paste wax to it. Once you get them good an clean and polished, use the "moonshine" to clean off the black residue from polishing. Use as needed to keep them clean (by hand). I haven't cleaned them since I did this, but have noticed that the front brake dust just wipes off with your finger.

USE CAUTION WHEN HEATING THE MINERAL SPIRITS....DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH A FLAME. DO THIS OUTSIDE. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

https://www.finishing.com/111/51p2.shtml

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Aircraft paint stripper can easily remove the clear coat though a bit messy to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave