Cleaning domestic coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Hi I have an original brass heater core and it was one wall of a mouse nest for years while in storage. It smells like mouse pee has anyone ever successfully cleaned one of these?

I was thinking muriatic acid? Maybe soak it or boil it out doors in a reduced muriatic solution?!?

if my best bet is just replacing it does anyone have a good source for a brass one? I got burned with a made in China aluminum one that was a lot smaller then the original
Thanks

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Soak it overnight in a tub of water with DAWN dishwashing detergent.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Ok snoots, but there is still a good amount of mouse nest imbedded in the fins of core.... that’s why I thought of boiling it ... I’ve blown it out with an air gun and got out all the loose stuff.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I would try Nu-Brite. It's used to clean A/C coils in the home. I verified that its acceptable to use on brass. I use this on my outside unit twice a year to remove debris. Link and link to label that show copper is ok. I basically put it in a sprayer, spray the outside of the unit (takes about 7 minutes). Then I drink a beer in the hot heat (about 7 minutes lol). Then rinse. Follow the directions lol.

https://www.nucalgon.com/products/coil-cleaners-sprayers/condenser-cleaners/nu-brite/

label:
https://www.nucalgon.com/media/7516/4291-08_label_10272020.pdf

You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
should have mentioned how it works. When you spray it on there, dirt, dog hair, grass....whatever soaks it up. Well during this process, as you'll see, it foams up.....pushing all the debris to the outside to be rinsed off later. Video below, but I don't think it's nu-brite....same theory though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow, that's amazing! It foamed up to the point that the foam was carrying all the dirt off with it. That's wild. I'm one of the home owners who keeps their condenser clean, just hosed off real good. I don't ever let grass build up anywhere on the unit. But I can see just film or something on the fins. I have my unit serviced twice a year, outside during the Summer and inside to and then during the Winter a thorough cleaning and pieces parts cleaned and replaced if needed. But I've only seen the technician clean the unit with some kind of so called cleaner but I can tell you right now it didn't do as good a job as this stuff, no where near as good a job.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hi I have an original brass heater core and it was one wall of a mouse nest for years while in storage. It smells like mouse pee has anyone ever successfully cleaned one of these?

I was thinking muriatic acid? Maybe soak it or boil it out doors in a reduced muriatic solution?!?

if my best bet is just replacing it does anyone have a good source for a brass one? I got burned with a made in China aluminum one that was a lot smaller then the original
Thanks

Do you know what the recommended method is to kill hantavirus? Vinegar, an acid much more mild than muriatic. So for that reason I'd do 50 50 water vinegar and a few drops of dish soap. Soak it rinse it off, and put it into service.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Thanks guys, as aHVAC service tech I know about indoor and out door coil cleaners, they work great! But the manufacturers have been having leaks in the indoor coils mainly, and they have to blame it on SOMEONE so they have chosen to blame it on the mildly acidic coil cleaners so now most manufacturers recommend “water wash only” in fact one brand now comes with stickers that say “water wash only”
In the industry we use a muriatic acid solution to clean the mineral deposits from the inside if the domestic water coils. That is then neutralized with baking soda when we are finished.
As for my situation I don’t think a couple drops of Dawn will kill the dam mouse smell and I’m afraid that every time I run the heater I’ll smell mouse pee.... I’d rather replace it but I can’t find a brass one and I bought an aluminum one from a popular vender that swore it was made in the USA and was an exact fit, but when it arrived the box was marked made in China and was smaller then the opening so air would be flowing around the coil and not through it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks guys, as aHVAC service tech I know about indoor and out door coil cleaners, they work great! But the manufacturers have been having leaks in the indoor coils mainly, and they have to blame it on SOMEONE so they have chosen to blame it on the mildly acidic coil cleaners so now most manufacturers recommend “water wash only” in fact one brand now comes with stickers that say “water wash only”
In the industry we use a muriatic acid solution to clean the mineral deposits from the inside if the domestic water coils. That is then neutralized with baking soda when we are finished.
As for my situation I don’t think a couple drops of Dawn will kill the dam mouse smell and I’m afraid that every time I run the heater I’ll smell mouse pee.... I’d rather replace it but I can’t find a brass one and I bought an aluminum one from a popular vender that swore it was made in the USA and was an exact fit, but when it arrived the box was marked made in China and was smaller then the opening so air would be flowing around the coil and not through it.

The Muriatic acid won't hurt that heat core, like I said radiator shops use to use it and since you obviously know how to handle the acid I say go for it.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Thanks, right now I think I’d rather find a new one that’s brass and is built like it should be so it fits like it should.
In the meantime I’ll proceed with the muriatic acid.
Anyone with Info on where to get a correct heater coil for a non ac truck I’d be grateful
Thanks

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@16927 ,Autozone shows a Prosource non/a/c copper for 31.99. Part # 98553?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Thanks, I’ll see if they will get one in for me

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@16927 , Double check my facts and ask the zone guys to check it, too. But that's what showed on my screen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Ok I’ve read the two reviews on that product number and one said not copper but aluminum.... other said was on second one in a year....
autozone says I have to pay for it when I order it .... then they return my money if I don’t want it later... sounds schetchy

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I've got a pretty decent zone here, but that's why I would rather have you check it out for yourself. and pay when you order is a bs deal, I never pay for an order at Zone Napa or Oreillys when O rder,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg