Chrome Platers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You fellas know of any decent platers still open for business? Used to be a place I sent stuff to on the left coast....near Seattle. Guy who ran it was in rehab more than the shop so the quality was either museum or wtf. No idea if he's even still open....or above room temperature for that matter.

A backup question is.....whats the quality of new bumpers? Since most everything is chi-com, my guess is they're either thin or poorly plated - dunno. My front bumper is really nice except the one side is bent into the fender. I tried pulling it out with a come along but destroyed anything I attached it to...and it never budged. Good steel. Rear bumper is painted....not sure what I'll do with that when the resto begins.

Another thing would be new handles.....I'd just buy new if I thought they were as good as the originals.

TIA

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have a friend that uses Sherm's in Sacramento for the chrome on his '51 Merc. I called to get an estimate for my front bumper and it starts at $700 not including any repairs.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Last time I had a front bumper done it was on a '67 1800 coupe.....which is basically a 5' wide 2"x2" c-channel that needed little to no work. It was $1500, so that price doesn't sound too bad. But I see 'new' bumpers for <$300 so thats what makes me wonder what kind of quality they are.

Thanks.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
There’s a place in Jackson, MS that does it, and a place in Madisonville, LA. There’s also a bumper restoration place in Nashville.

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Most of the common stuff has gone repop.

LMC or whoever has 2 different “grades” on these trucks. The better bumper is $50 more.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wonder if their 'better' is OE quality? Then the issue of how long would the chrome stay on it. I've seen some reviews of these aftermarket bumpers as "thin as cat hair". I backed out of a new Westin rear bumper because of poor reviews.

Well....nuts. Will probably have to bite the bullet when the time comes and have mine straightened / replated.

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I dont blame you. If that is the only part you need done that is of significant cost go for it.

My 87 is getting the repops including that chrome Westin you mention. Its very original survivor and that's my only doubts about it. It has different mounting hardware. I don’t see a problem with the front one.

I may check into redoing my rear chrome bumper but I dont know if that black center plate is detachable... anyone know?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
There is a chrome guy here in PA that my friend takes his edsel parts to but i dont know the name.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I got turned onto Modern Plating after they became the SIXTH (and final) plating company I interviewed while shopping for a ZINC Chromate plated brake booster.

Na2Cr2O7

:headbang:

https://modernplatingok.com/

Edit :

I mailed the Blue Ox's brake booster away to MODERN PLATING , yesterday.
(November 07,2019)

The quote is $55 U.S with at least a one week turnaround. I told em it wasn't broken but I haven't driven the truck in ten years but it is going to be famous on the internet, no rush at all. ;)
I gave em the tracking number, and said thanks. It is probably there already. :waytogo:

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Bunch of sorry assed mother fuckers.
I talked to some guy on the phone TWICE about plating a brake booster.
I mailed it to them and the fuckers arent gonna plate it AND want 9 bucks to mail it back.

Mother fuckers.

The more trouble I have installing a zinc plated booster into the truck, the stronger my resolve grows.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There's always this solution.

You must be registered for see images

We're on the same page Brother.

**** that dumb ****, i've got way better things to do. Who knew a simple zinc brake booster would be such a frickin chore? I could have PAINTED IT a long time ago but I had tunnel vision on zinc plating.
Lesson learned,hrm.

Scored the perfect paint even! :headbang:

Game over man, I am sooooooo over it already..gah!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bunch of sorry assed mother fuckers.
I talked to some guy on the phone TWICE about plating a brake booster.
I mailed it to them and the fuckers arent gonna plate it AND want 9 bucks to mail it back.

Mother fuckers.

The more trouble I have installing a zinc plated booster into the truck, the stronger my resolve grows.

Was the booster apart? How would they plate it assembled?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uberbeans