Chevy tbi 350 to edelbrock adapter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So this may be here some where but i couldnt it. Ive got a chance at a very good runnin 350 with a tbi out of a squarebody blazer, my question is if i drop it in my 78 is there a quick way out to put an eddy 4bbl on it without an intake swap? Is there a nifty lil carb swap adapter out there? Plus is there anything special i need to make it run on its own or is it a drop in and run? Thanks guys!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Swap intakes, get a fuel pump eccentric, and a mechanical fuel pump and plate (and gasket), and hope the cam is old enough to still have the 17th lobe. That's about as easy I think you could make it.
Also, your belt system is gonna be a serpentine setup, with the funky brackets and limited options for accesories. Unless the PO already changed it over, you'll be into either sticking with the wrong setup, or swapping water pumps, alternators, brackets, pulleys, belts, ect, ect, from your old engine.

If your looking for an adapter, like I said on our other chat medium, I've looked and looked, such a thing is not made at this point in time.
You could maybe dremel out the TBI intake, and drill some holes, and try to make a carb fit, but I think thatd be a nightmare of RTV and vacuum leaks.
You could have an adapter custom made like I was looking into, but that'll cost ya a bit, and still might not work well, because itll still be breathing 4bbls worth of fuel threw a 2bbl style intake.
I'd personally do the extra work, and swap intakes and everything, or just pull your engine and rebuild it. You can get a full rebuild kit for like a $100, and in a weekend, have your old 350 running like new. That is if your heads dont need rebuilding.
Good luck.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I concur with my esteemed colleague, you simply must swap intakes.
And figure out a fuel pump mmhm.. See them TBI engines were all made to utilize electric fuel pumps .... and the camshaft inside of your new motor is not, sorry to the the bearer of the news.

Youre left with a new camshaft or new electric fuel pump or different engine. :(

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I concur with my esteemed colleague, you simply must swap intakes.
And figure out a fuel pump mmhm.. See them TBI engines were all made to utilize electric fuel pumps .... and the camshaft inside of your new motor is not, sorry to the the bearer of the news.

Youre left with a new camshaft or new electric fuel pump or different engine. :(

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Well some of the earlier model TBI engines still had cams with the fuel pump lobe on them, even though they were FI. Depends on the year, I believe 94 and before still had them on select engines. If hes lucky, maybe that one does too.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Well if you're going to go through all that (you know it's coming!)... you may as well...
you know...

drop a 496 BB in it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Worst case, couldn’t an 87 tank and a tbi pump with a pressure regulator at 5.5-6 psi work?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Worst case, couldn’t an 87 tank and a tbi pump with a pressure regulator at 5.5-6 psi work?
Not a bad idea. The pump pushes quite a bit more than that, itd be overkill, but the pressure regulator would send all the extra back to the tank. And whatever the carb didnt use would back down a return line too, so yeah, that could work. Youd have to have the pump hot wired with a switch in the cab, or somehow tie it in with the ignition wiring. And you could use the stock tank with just a 87 style sender unit. I believe the lock ring and hole and such are the same.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Not a bad idea. The pump pushes quite a bit more than that, itd be overkill, but the pressure regulator would send all the extra back to the tank. And whatever the carb didnt use would back down a return line too, so yeah, that could work. Youd have to have the pump hot wired with a switch in the cab, or somehow tie it in with the ignition wiring. And you could use the stock tank with just a 87 style sender unit. I believe the lock ring and hole and such are the same.
I believe a tbi pump is roughly 10-11 psi, not sure on the volume vs a mech pump. There are several key on acc slots in my fuse panel, not sure about Ted’s 78 though.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
The decision has been made to swap intakes and slam a mech pump on it and slam it in the truck and make her tires burn!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Did you get the body to where the inspection Nazis will allow it on the road ?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Did you get the body to where the inspection Nazis will allow it on the road ?
No, but the after a buncha conversing with the guy im buyin the motor from (a friend of mine). Hes willing to help me do the motor swap in his shop and help with some new body panel installments.... but at the same time im thinkin of just putting the motor in then doin some "back yard get me by patching" to get it legal. Then spend the time really doin it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1