Checking Back In - I Need to Do Better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey all,

Haven’t been around much in the past little while. Hope someone held the fort down while I’ve been gone.

I’ve been working a standard week as a paralegal, which I’ve been doing so for a while. I hate being there, though. Mentally exhausted, and the things I want to do go by the wayside: e.g. working on my cars, fixing my house, maybe catching a fish, shooting a gun, that sorta stuff. I started working on my pilot’s license back in January and finished in 3.5 months. I did the private weeknights some but mostly on weekends so between work, flying, studying, I’ve been pretty spent. I made the decision to get into it commercially, and I’m working on my instrument rating now. I do that exclusively at night so I don’t get home till midnight on those nights. I’m actually planning to quit my job July 29th, move to Florida with my pal Ron (Desantis) for a couple of months to do my commercial and CFI, I’ll do my multi right here in Hammond, LA, and I’ll be flying professionally by October/start flying for an actually company sometime in 2023.

I’m hoping to reclaim my hobbies and enjoy life more than being a billable hour robot like I am now. It’s a lot of fun, and I’m gonna set aside time to poke around here in anticipation of that.

Right now I’m daily driving a deliciously derelict ‘93 Suburban w/ 340K miles that someone who got married and had too many vehicles gave me for free. My Oldsmobile popped the timing chain, and I didn’t have the time or inclination to deal with it. It’s pretty terrible, but it’s the tried and true TBI 350/4L60E, and no one cares about it in s-hole New Orleans. My plan is to get out of here in 2023 once and for all, but I do need to be here a little longer to find flight students and expedite my entry into the corporate flying I want to do. The company I want to work for operates out of Stennis Intl. Airport in Kiln, MS (birthplace of Brett Favre). They also work out of Jackson (yuck) and New Orleans, but I’d rather be back home.

Anyway, I’m back. If anyone has TBI or weirdo carburetor questions, you know where to find me. Oh, the rear evaporator is busted in that Suburban (allegedly), and it’s getting really hot so if anyone has insight for me trying to fix that junk, I’m all ears.

Attachments

• B6F6146B-61F0-41EA-BD1A-FF0EE9C9E9C2.jpeg
    B6F6146B-61F0-41EA-BD1A-FF0EE9C9E9C2.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 59

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Sounds like you have a plan. Hope it all goes well :wave:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Good to see you're still alive

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Nice to hear from you Jesse, thanks for the update. I approve of your plans! You have a strong mind and that's rare these days.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Welcome back! Do you still have the Caprice too?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Nice to hear from you Jesse, thanks for the update. I approve of your plans! You have a strong mind and that's rare these days.
Thanks, friend! I do my best. Good times made too many weak men, and I don’t want to be part of that statistic.
Welcome back! Do you still have the Caprice too?
Thanks! Oh yeah, she’s still going strong and never letting go of that one either. That Suburban is just my decoy for driving around here, and it’s cheap to operate aside from gas.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Nice to see you're still kicking around!

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Hey all,

Haven’t been around much in the past little while. Hope someone held the fort down while I’ve been gone.

I’ve been working a standard week as a paralegal, which I’ve been doing so for a while. I hate being there, though. Mentally exhausted, and the things I want to do go by the wayside: e.g. working on my cars, fixing my house, maybe catching a fish, shooting a gun, that sorta stuff. I started working on my pilot’s license back in January and finished in 3.5 months. I did the private weeknights some but mostly on weekends so between work, flying, studying, I’ve been pretty spent. I made the decision to get into it commercially, and I’m working on my instrument rating now. I do that exclusively at night so I don’t get home till midnight on those nights. I’m actually planning to quit my job July 29th, move to Florida with my pal Ron (Desantis) for a couple of months to do my commercial and CFI, I’ll do my multi right here in Hammond, LA, and I’ll be flying professionally by October/start flying for an actually company sometime in 2023.

I’m hoping to reclaim my hobbies and enjoy life more than being a billable hour robot like I am now. It’s a lot of fun, and I’m gonna set aside time to poke around here in anticipation of that.

Right now I’m daily driving a deliciously derelict ‘93 Suburban w/ 340K miles that someone who got married and had too many vehicles gave me for free. My Oldsmobile popped the timing chain, and I didn’t have the time or inclination to deal with it. It’s pretty terrible, but it’s the tried and true TBI 350/4L60E, and no one cares about it in s-hole New Orleans. My plan is to get out of here in 2023 once and for all, but I do need to be here a little longer to find flight students and expedite my entry into the corporate flying I want to do. The company I want to work for operates out of Stennis Intl. Airport in Kiln, MS (birthplace of Brett Favre). They also work out of Jackson (yuck) and New Orleans, but I’d rather be back home.

Anyway, I’m back. If anyone has TBI or weirdo carburetor questions, you know where to find me. Oh, the rear evaporator is busted in that Suburban (allegedly), and it’s getting really hot so if anyone has insight for me trying to fix that junk, I’m all ears.
I’ve been interested in getting my private license. 3.5mo is quick. How old are you? I’m 42 now and live near a small airport with training. Cant decide if im too old for it. good luck with flying. It’s a big dream of many, glad to see others do their thing.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve been interested in getting my private license. 3.5mo is quick. How old are you? I’m 42 now and live near a small airport with training. Cant decide if im too old for it. good luck with flying. It’s a big dream of many, glad to see others do their thing.

I also did it in 3.5 months while working 40 hrs. a week, but it whipped me pretty good. A lot of tired days in there. I’m 25. 42’s definitely not too old. My CFI had a 67 year old student, and I met a 71 year old student this weekend.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Never too old!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK