Check out what I scored!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axekick

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
I've been trying to sell this old suburban but no one wants it since the motor needs work. I think I'm going to put a 5.3 in front of this sm465 and throw it in. Then I'll just enjoy driving it until someone wants to buy it.

You must be registered for see images attach

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Nice, that should be fun! Right up my alley, too, as I'm in the process of swapping an NV4500 behind my 6.0L LS.

axekick

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
Let me know what you learn. I'll have to buy a clutch and pressure plate and I'm going to have to buy a master cylinder and modify the manual clutch pedal to work with it. I'm very familiar with the ls platform. I'm less familiar with the square body trucks.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The T-case you got is the best part

Round pattern 208 ?

I just finished a 5.3 and NV3500 into a 76 K-10

I used the stock clutch master cylinder and just drilled a hole in the clutch pedal and used a grade 8 bolt

Don't drill the mounting holes for the clutch master until after you drill the center hole for the rod and then use the mc as the guide for locating the bolt holes

I used all thread for the mounting bolts so we could adjust the depth of the mc

I'd swap in a NV 3500 or 4500 while you at it

If your clutch pedal pivot up top is totally worn beyond a bushing replacement , you can get a brake pedal from a automatic and flip it over and then cut off the lower part of the pedal and use the lower part of your worn out pedal and just bolt it to the flipped over brake pedal

axekick

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
good info! I think my pedal assembly feels good but I haven't really checked it out thoroughly. I will keep the SM465. It's tough and I have it and I like the granny gear for crawling. That is a 208 so I'm happy to have the passenger drop TC. Do you think you can get a picture of your MC mounting bolts? I'd like to see how you are able to adjust the depth. Do I have to pull the whole column to swap the pedals? I may just go ahead and start doing that even though I haven't picked up a motor yet.

BTW, I like your Screen name.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Mine already had the mechanical clutch pedal installed

We swapped from a 465 to a NV3500 cause it's a daily driver

I will take some pics
Might be a couple days , I'm currently on a road trip but I just used threaded rod with nuts on each side of the firewall and nuts on each side of the mc

It's kinda hillbilly but it was the only was I could think of to get it to work with the modified mechanical pedal
The hydro pedals assembly's are gold , most people want $300 for em

I couldn't find a mc with a adjustable length rod
That's why I made the mc adjustable

Is the 465 you grabbed a hydro clutch ?
And did you get the hydro clutch pedal assembly ?

Screen name is cause I live in one

axekick

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
Ha! Cool Place. I thought it was like a roundhouse kick! I like Georgia. I used to spend summers with my grandparent. They oversaw an old gold mine that was turned into prospector club. I had good times out there in the Georgia woods.

My 465 is set up for a hydro clutch. I think it was swapped to that. The bellhousing has the slave cylinder mounted already. The pedal assembly I got is for mechanical clutch. I'll just modify it like everyone says. I noticed cracks in the top cover of the trans where the roll pins go. They go from the top of the roll pin holes straight up to the top. It seems like it will still work but I'd like to find an aluminum top cover if I can get so lucky. I understand how you mounted the master cylinder. No need to take pics, but thank you.

axekick

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
I may have just gotten a lead on a complete 8.1 with the harness and all! How cool would that be. I'm not going to want to get rid of this thing if I get that in it.

Well, that fell through but now I'm obsessed with finding an 8.1 to put in this thing.

Last edited:

axekick

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
I'm not sure why I can't post in classifieds or wanted but does anyone have a top cover they're willing to sell me? Mine is a little cracked at the pins. I'd like to upgrade to the aluminum one.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Need to have 50 posts to unlock classified posting. Wasn't the aluminum top cover what tgey went to when they changed to the GMT400 platform trucks? Seems like I remember there being some minor difference in them. I could ve mistaken though.

axekick

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Burb
Engine Size
The timing would work out for that. I read that they went to the aluminum top cover around 88. I wasn't sure if they ever used the granny 4 speed in the GMT400 trucks. If not then the aluminum top covers are probably hard to come by since they would have only been around for a few years.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Id love to have a 8.1 in my square. That with the 465 is a nice combo

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I see this project going the right way. Not sure I'd mod the Z bar linkage clutch pedal assembly though. I'd just suck it up and find a set of Hydro clutch pedals if you're going hydro clutch, and I would go hydro clutch if it's a 4x4, otherwise I prefer Z bar linkage. SM465 or NV4500 aren't speed shifting units anyway like a Muncie M21 or M22 is so I'd just do the hydro and do it with bolt in parts rather than fabbed parts. You might even find someone to trade you those Z bar pedals for hydro pedals.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The timing would work out for that. I read that they went to the aluminum top cover around 88. I wasn't sure if they ever used the granny 4 speed in the GMT400 trucks. If not then the aluminum top covers are probably hard to come by since they would have only been around for a few years.

If I remember correctly, the 465 was around in the gmt400 until 92ish. I also seem to recall that the aluminum top moved the shifter location slightly? I want to say it had something to do with the new shape of the dashboard. Not 100% on that though.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If I remember correctly, the 465 was around in the gmt400 until 92ish. I also seem to recall that the aluminum top moved the shifter location slightly? I want to say it had something to do with the new shape of the dashboard. Not 100% on that though.

You are correct. The new aluminum top moved the shifter rearward a few inches. It also raised the location of the pivot ball on the stick, giving the shifter a shorter throw. And it was only used in the gmt400.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128