Charcoal Canister Repack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Fellas and Fellaesses,

I'm about to wrap up a remanufacture of my Q-Jet (milled surfaces, pressed bronze bushings, retapped all the threads, seals, etc, etc ,etc.) and I plan on replacing all of the vacuum lines when I reinstall the carb.

I was thinking yesterday - the charcoal canister needs the lines replaced too. I wonder if the charcoal inside needs replaced. Has anybody ever repacked one of these?

I can get a 5lb bag of activated charcoal for cheapish and figure it might be worth it to replace the 40 year old stuff inside while I have everything taken apart in the engine bay.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've never heard of that, but let us know if you come up with a way to do it. New ones cost >$70 at RockAuto.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Alright, I think the plan is to get the qjet reinstalled and the truck running / tuned. Then I will pull the charcoal canister apart and do an inspection / cleaning / repack with new carbon.

I suppose I will also keep a sample of the old stuff and try to extract any contaminants from it to see what / if it has collected over the years.

Theoretically it's just that easy. Someone hold my beer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Should you do so that would be a VERY interesting Thread. With pix of course.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Alright, I think the plan is to get the qjet reinstalled and the truck running / tuned. Then I will pull the charcoal canister apart and do an inspection / cleaning / repack with new carbon.

I suppose I will also keep a sample of the old stuff and try to extract any contaminants from it to see what / if it has collected over the years.

Theoretically it's just that easy. Someone hold my beer.

I don't think I would ever let any of these guys hold my beer!!.....just sayin

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've not looked closely at my charcoal canister, but IIRC the only removable piece is the filter on the bottom. To get to the charcoal I think you would have to split apart the seams between the tank body and either the top or bottom. However, I think they are factory heat sealed.

Bruce

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've not looked closely at my charcoal canister, but IIRC the only removable piece is the filter on the bottom. To get to the charcoal I think you would have to split apart the seams between the tank body and either the top or bottom. However, I think they are factory heat sealed.

Bruce
Yeah that's a possibility. Honestly I have never had it out. I guess we'll find out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito