Changing from hyroboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I've taken the diesel out of my 85 C19 and will be replacing it with a gas motor. I want to remove the hydro boost and replace it with vacuum boost system. Anything I need to modify or is it just bolt on?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Why not just keep the hydroboost setup? Overall it is the better system to have and its not like it will interfere with the gasoline engine any.

Not putting down, mainly just curious here.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I agree, one less source of a potential vacuum leak. Not to mention, if you ever want to throw a nasty cam in it, it’ll still brake well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
only if its not functioning would you really want to replace it. Guys will happily take your hydroboost setup and give you their vaccuum setups!

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
True, I have hydro boost on my 02 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4. Was just going to replace it after it's been sitting for over 10 years.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I have a Vaccum boost from my 82 k10 that was converted to Gas, I'm going back to Diesel and would take your Setup if it works and has no issues.
Also might be interested in the engine/trans.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I don't know if the hydro system works. It has sit for over 10 years. The motor has been disassembled to a short block. I have all the diesel motor parts. Trans is not for sale.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I'm removing the hydro-boost this weekend if anyone would be interested in it. Unknown if it works.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Again... wouldnt you rather have the more desireable setup that doesnt care about engine vacuum? You would just need to source a hydroboost bracket and pump for a SBC rather than a diesel(unless they were the same, doubt it) This also means way less work removing your entire brake setup and running in regular booster, etc.

I think if your unit DIDNT work you would much rather fix it...

also, its hydraulics. The pump is the power steering pump. The hydroboost unit is, to what i understand, a diverter that sends hydraulic pressure to actuate your master cylinder.. so unless its fully bad or worn out, It should function.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Again... wouldnt you rather have the more desireable setup that doesnt care about engine vacuum? You would just need to source a hydroboost bracket and pump for a SBC rather than a diesel(unless they were the same, doubt it) This also means way less work removing your entire brake setup and running in regular booster, etc.

I think if your unit DIDNT work you would much rather fix it...

also, its hydraulics. The pump is the power steering pump. The hydroboost unit is, to what i understand, a diverter that sends hydraulic pressure to actuate your master cylinder.. so unless its fully bad or worn out, It should function.

Can somebody school me here. @Dutch Rutter @Frankenchevy @AuroraGirl, Other than in the case of a fat cam what makes hydroboost desirable? Seems like your trading potential vacuum leak for fluid leak so that's like an even trade off to me. I've got vac boost in my square but hydro in my class C RV, so I know how they both drive and I don't see the big plus. Thanks.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Can somebody school me here. @Dutch Rutter @Frankenchevy @AuroraGirl, Other than in the case of a fat cam what makes hydroboost desirable? Seems like your trading potential vacuum leak for fluid leak so that's like an even trade off to me. I've got vac boost in my square but hydro in my class C RV, so I know how they both drive and I don't see the big plus. Thanks.
Couldn’t tell you past the cam part(or diesel). I believe, for the most part I’d rather a slight fluid weep to a vacuum leak, though neither are desirable. Most heavier duty trucks I’ve come across have hydro assisted brakes vs vac assisted brakes, I guess there’s something to be said for that.

While I can tell you that my SquareBody stops really well for a truck of its era—in fact violently so if I mash the brakes; I would defer to your expertise on the matter due to your background as a mechanic. Whereas my background is shade tree and forum based at best.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Hydro has more power than vacc assisted. Also has an accumulator so if the engine stalls you get a couple of assisted stops before the pedal starts to feel like trying to crush a garbage can with your foot. I guess a big enough vacuum reservoir will do that for you too.

In my experience, both systems are reliable enough that that's not a decider for either one. My opinion is that the juice brakes have a minor advantage. If I was going to swap a system I'd go vacc to hydro, but not the other way around.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Imho, both systems work well. They both have their advantages too. Personally, I prefer the pedal feel of a hydro boost system.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size