Champion Iridium plugs at 105000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Figured I throw this out there.

Swapped the plugs on the wifes SUV today with a set of NGK Laser Iridium plugs. Suggested gap as per Dodge was .043 so it shall be done. I have gotten to a new laughable level of dislike for engineers on this swap. Seeing as the 2011 Durango v6 the intake needs to be removed which is no problem. But when you have 4 nuts on 4 brackets that have no slots to slide the studs out it is time to pull out the pry bar and get to "adjusting" the brackets. I would love to just slug someone in their **** sucker for that...... Any way.....

Well about an hour later the truck is running much smoother than before. The stock plugs look like dog **** and the gap was sitting at .056ish.

So I would say if you have a vehicle they say needs plugs every 100k I would go to about 75k and swap then. 100k will work but I personally feel it is wearing parts thin and asking for a speed dial call to a wrecker.

Sorry for no picks of the new plugs to all you pic ****** out there in troll land. If you want to see the plugs new just google it but here are the ones that came out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I took the IR plugs out of my Chev Cruze at 100k. They looked great. Replaced with regular copper plugs as forums were saying better mpg.
I didn't get that result over 10k, so I re gapped the old ones, put them back in mpg went right back up. That was 20k ago, mpg hasn't slipped.
Really thinking about IR plugs for my planned change on the square this summer.

Others with experience and opinions?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I swapped my old ac plugs for E3 plugs i cant remember how long ago and havent checked them since. Not really much help... lol

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So this thread made me go pull mine and look. Pass side were all the same brown color. Driver side had 2 or 3 that were real bad. I gave them all the wire wheel treatment and put them all back in.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You have to love when a thread makes you rethink your life.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Acdelcos in mine, runs as you’d expect it to. Thinking of going Accel shorties next time just to make life easier.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just did AC Delco Single Plats to replace the base mode cuprous plugs. I ran those for 30K, and I plan to use these for 50K. I’ll be at 325K miles then so I’ve got a few years where I don’t have to worry.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
175k on factory Denzo plugs in the Corolla, still averaging mid to high 30s mpg

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Show Off!

lol just saying if its not running bad they probably dont need to be changed. They are also the Iridium plugs from the factory, Toyotas are known for not liking after market ignition parts so I run the stock ones till they have to be replaced.

ghopp24

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
E3's in my 86 K10. runs perfect, good mileage.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I took the IR plugs out of my Chev Cruze at 100k. They looked great. Replaced with regular copper plugs as forums were saying better mpg.
I didn't get that result over 10k, so I re gapped the old ones, put them back in mpg went right back up. That was 20k ago, mpg hasn't slipped.
Really thinking about IR plugs for my planned change on the square this summer.

Others with experience and opinions?

it has been my experience that cars trucks that didn't come with platinums or iridiums do best with the OE copper plugs. use to be our shop policy to replace any wiz bang plugs with factory style before doing any further diagnostics on misses or poor idles.. that alone fixed probably 1/2 of them.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
it has been my experience that cars trucks that didn't come with platinums or iridiums do best with the OE copper plugs. use to be our shop policy to replace any wiz bang plugs with factory style before doing any further diagnostics on misses or poor idles.. that alone fixed probably 1/2 of them.

+1
See it all the time in the marine forums. Everybody thinks the iridiums, platinums, E3 and any other new fangled, high tech plugs are gonna be the Holy Grail of new found performance.
Every one turns out to be a massive fail. There are a lot of old school guys who believe and have proven over and over again that classic Chevys run AC Delco. Ford's run Autolite and Mopars run Champion. All copper.
So you say that was the standard with old school dizzys. Agreed but even my new high tech MSD dizzy specifically says to use old school copper plugs.

If longevity is a concern buy a new $65k truck that has those fancy new plugs from the factory that last 100k miles.
Then you can pay a dealer $350 to change them when the time comes because you have to practically remove the engine to do so or they've become welded to the head and you snap them off. Even if you can change them yourself it takes an entire day to do so and the plugs themselves cost $10-$15 each. Ask me how I know.

No thanks. I'm more than happy spending $10-$15 for an entire new set of copper AC Delcos and taking an hour or two to change them. My boat takes me literally 15 minutes to do all eight and that includes gapping them.
That's therapy to me.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
My personal opinion?
Never touch the damn plugs unless you have to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8